sfc /scannow will not run (WinXP)

bill sykes 23:55 16 Jan 04

Whenever I use Start/Run/ 'sfc /scannow' I see a black 'dos' box for a brief nanosecond, then nothing.
To see what is happening I have to run it in safe mode with the command prompt option. There I can see that the sfc fails to initiate and gives the error message -
"Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [the RPC server is unavailable]"

Any idea what this means? Better still, how I fix it?

I am using WinXP with all current updates, and have administrator status.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

©®@$? 00:22 17 Jan 04

how about this,it mentions the exact problem you have but for windows 2000, as you may already know windows xp and windows 2000 are very similar worth a try

click here

©®@$? 00:25 17 Jan 04

also make sure your antivirus is upto date and run a full system scan some virus's can cause this

hugh-265156 01:10 17 Jan 04

also check in control panel/administrative tools/services that rpc is set to automatic and rpc locator is set to auto or manual start up.

click the entries and choose the start up type from the drop down box.or click them and select "start the service"

note i dont think rpc can be stopped as its need by so many other things.locator can.

©®@$? link looks better advice.using ms kb help brought up click here and as above click here

Chegs ® 01:16 17 Jan 04

click here

I found this,and he's on about "Disabling SFC" by a registry tweak.Although this didn't work on his machine,it might on yours.I wouldn't want to run my pc with it disabled,but thats only because every time I "tweak" my registry my OS crashes shortly after.

Further down the page he is also offered the "Repair" XP option,booting from the XP cd,and bypassing the Recovery Console,but he discounts it as he doesn't want to reinstall XP? Strange,but I have used the Repair option loads of times,and apart from the My Docs folders contents disappearing,the other software is still as-was.So,if you have the install cd,then give "Repair" a go.

bill sykes 09:40 17 Jan 04

Thankyou all for your advice, you can be sure I'll be trying these out a little later today when my brain starts to function. Recently I used RegSeeker for the first time to 'clean' the registry. May not have been a good idea, but I could also try restoring to a point before then.

I'm only trying to run this because IE6 is starting to play up (doesn't fully load some pages, and windows update now just hangs)so I was hoping that sfc would tell me that a system file needed reloading.

I've never done an install before so this could be the start of a whole new experience. Thanks again, I'll let you know if I manage to fix it.

bill sykes 22:51 18 Jan 04

I checked out the 'rpc locator' service, which showed as 'manual' and 'not running'. I started it and sfc then initiated ok - the dialog box was visible and it ran successfully. Since then I have been able to run it without problems, and I haven't had to start the service each time. So it's weird, maybe I screwed up somewhere the night before, though I like to think I didn't.

Very many thanks for all your input and the useful links, they will be handy for the future and have added to my knowledge. Hopefully others will benefit too. Thanks also for your time.

(Still have the IE 6 'not loading some pages' problem but that might be another story for another day)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5