Sfc /scannow query

TOPCAT® 14:44 05 Nov 05

First a few pertinent computer specs: WinXP OEM Home with SP2 - AMD 64x2 4800+ CPU - 1GB DDR 400 memory - 2x300GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 0 config - nVidia 256MB 7800GTX graphics - MS Wireless Comfort desktop set. Built by small local PC business.

Finding my way around the new computer I encountered a problem trying to run the above command from the Start/Run box. On inserting my Windows XP Home CD I had the message it required the Windows XP Professional CD2! It refused to recognise my CD and I couldn't proceed further or cancel out from it, except by rebooting the computer. Can anyone help resolve this error please? TC.

PaulB2005 14:47 05 Nov 05

Make sure the CD is clean.

It does this on my XP Home PC too. It is working OK. It even asks for the LongHorn CD at one stage.

powerless 14:49 05 Nov 05

As the computer is new [ish?] why are you running SFC? There is no real need to be honsest, unless you are having file related errors from within the Windows Event viewer or other report tool. If it's a 'i'll see what SFC says is missing' thingee, then just quit SFC as there is no real need to run unless you really have to.

Or click here

TOPCAT® 14:57 05 Nov 05

I've installed several new games, some with large patches, and one older game using the XP compatibitity tool for this. I've had a few freezes and wanted to check and correct any possible disk errors. TC.

mgmcc 15:38 05 Nov 05

If XP Pro was installed from a CD that didn't incorporate SP2, and you subsequently upgraded to SP2, on the occasions when you are prompted to insert the CD, you may get an error that the version in the PC is newer than that on the CD.

The solution to that is to "slipstream" SP2 into the XP Pro installation files and burn an "XP Pro SP2" installation disk. There are numerous sets of instructions for doing this - the ones I used to create "XP SP2" installation disks for both Home and Pro is at click here

TOPCAT® 18:13 05 Nov 05

Thanks, but the machine has XP Home SP2 installed. Powerless's comments and link gives me the guidance and answers to the query. I also found the Windows Event viewer which listed several warnings/errors in all three sections. Thankfully, XP intervenes, records these and allows the system to continue safely without damage to major system files. I think that's right and, if so, I've learned a little more today!:o) Thank you for the help, guys. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…