sfc /scannow problem

Klof Ron 18:00 14 Jul 05

Whilst attempting a scan on a friends pc (WinXP Home Edition) with the XP Home CD in the drive, the sfc /scannow screen kept asking for the Windows XP Professional Edition Disk. I know this is XP Home because I installed it after wiping a Linux installation add installing it from scratch. The PC has been working well for about eight months, but when I attempted to do a 'Clean Disk' operation I got a message saying "some system files have been overwritten are you sure you want to proceed? I have done the clean up using cCleaner, also have done scans with a2, Spybot S&D and AdAware, as well as a complete scan with AVG and deleted/corrected any problems found. I still cannot complete a sfs /scannow without it asking for XP Pro. Any ideas?

woodchip 18:03 14 Jul 05

It's after the SP2 that it does it, just click ok it will still keep checking. It means some editing to sort it for CD location

Klof Ron 18:05 14 Jul 05

I am competent with regedit, can you point me in the right direction.

Completealias 18:07 14 Jul 05

This site may help click here

woodchip 18:09 14 Jul 05

I will have to check this as I think it was in a Mag. So it's difficult to remember everything as there was one or two places to change. I think not just Regedit Like I386 folder.

PS not easy when you get to 69

woodchip 18:10 14 Jul 05

Off out in a half hour so may have a look for mag about ten PM

Klof Ron 18:15 14 Jul 05

That's it mate, many thanks, job done.

Magik ®© 18:19 14 Jul 05

mine askes the same.but it will find all it wants on the winxp home restore disk, and i have not put in SP2...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…