sfc /scannow problem

Eargasm 15:35 11 Apr 04

Hi all
I'm running xp home when i try to run sfc /scannow a box appears "windows file protecton" files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache.

Insert your windows xp proffesional service pack 1 cd now.

Has anyone else had this message?

hugh-265156 15:39 11 Apr 04

it will prompt you to do this if these dlls are missing or corrupted,this is what sfc does and its normal.

otherwise if there are no problems found it will just run a scan and finish without saying anything.

Eargasm 15:54 11 Apr 04

Thanks for reply,ive just been reading some old links yours from 20.09.2003,i to have a packard bell with xp on a hidden partition,recently i ran the utility that copies the partition to cd,it said the 3 cd's were created successfully,however when restarting the pc the extra partition wasen't available anywhere 40 gig still shown as c:35.3 gig any ideas?
To go back to initial problem should i proceed with sfc /scannow with my spi cd update. Thanks

hugh-265156 16:02 11 Apr 04

when you run the master cd creator to make the masters it should have gave you the option of deleting the partition afterwards which will free up some space.did you select this option?

ps.the masters i created myself were corrupt and i had to get packard bell to send me the originals.this was done free of charge as i was under warranty.be careful if your not as you will be charged about £30 ish i think for them.

hugh-265156 16:06 11 Apr 04

pps.

sfc should not ask you to insert a windows disc even after you create your masters.it reads from the i386 folder i think.

inserting the master discs wont work with sfc as they are not a proper copy of windows.they contain strangely named zip files that only work in conjunction with your PB red recovery floppy.

Eargasm 16:08 11 Apr 04

I never saw an option to delete the partition,i thought the partition was supposed to be available after restarting the pc,the actual master cd creator has now gone of my pc but there's no extra space.

hugh-265156 16:14 11 Apr 04

you wont actually see a new partition just the space on your current C:\ partion that the files took up.about 1.5 - 2gigs i think.

run defrag.

the master cd creator disappears from the menu once it has been run once its now no longer available to use.

run your master cds through smart restore to check them for errors and pray they are ok.fingers crossed for you.

hugh-265156 16:20 11 Apr 04
  Eargasm 16:22 11 Apr 04

When i go to defrag the bar shows a green block near the end which it says is unremovable,i assume this is still the hidden partition with the operating system on.
How do i run the master cd's through smart restore to check them for errors?
Thanks for your input

Eargasm 16:28 11 Apr 04

Thanks for the link huggy,iv'e a few things to try now,the (ball and chain) mrs is dragging me out now so i will post back later to let you know how things went.Thanks

hugh-265156 16:32 11 Apr 04

no the green is system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…