SFC /scannow not reading CD

2N8 20:46 20 Apr 05

I'm not entirely 100% certain that sfc won't read my windows disc, but before to long, it asks for it even though it's already in the drive. Once retry is clicked, it seems to move on happily enough but the same thing occurs at frequent intervals as the progress bar moves along.

To see if sfc had actually worked, I ran it again; the same problem occurred, which suggests that it's not picking up the files correctly. I had always thought that sfc looked in a cache on the hard disk; is that not the case?

This is a recent re-installation, and the only reason for using sfc in the first place is that some programs have been closing with errors.

I can't find much joy from the MS KB. In short, how can I get sfc to work??

((BTW; OS is win XP sp2))

VoG II 20:50 20 Apr 05

click here may help you.

Pooke100 20:51 20 Apr 05
  Pooke100 20:51 20 Apr 05

you beat me to it, same link.

:(

VoG II 20:52 20 Apr 05

:o)

2N8 20:57 20 Apr 05

Thanks for the link chaps!

I'm a bit slow in responding; since PCA went all advert-happy, Firefox takes a millenium to load each page (and that's with 2meg DSL! Terrible)

I'll peruse and digest, then post back....

VoG II 20:58 20 Apr 05

click here as well in that case!

Pooke100 21:02 20 Apr 05

VoG™ you're too good.

P

2N8 21:16 20 Apr 05

OK folks...

Have perused and digested. That's a good piece of advice; the source path was incorrect, so I've put i386 on the C partition and changed the reg entry accordingly. That's something which I vaguely remember from the dim and distant past, but had long forgotten! That's the problem with re-installs; having to remember everything from scratch again!

Thanks for that second link VoG; I'll check that out. I love Firefox, but in can be a pain in the seatpad sometimes!

Thanks again both of you. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…