sfc /scannow demands installation disc

Amus 14:20 17 Feb 07

I gather the remedy for this is to copy the file I386 from the installation disc to C: and then alter the registry entry SourcePath to point to it. Unfortunately (a) I don't have an installation disc, only a recovery disc, and (b) when, using regedit, I navigate to HkeyLocalMachine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current User/Setup I do not find an item called SourcePath . I have an I386 file on my hard disc in C:\Windows (429Mb, I think) and another on the Service Pack 2 CD which is 530Mb. Is this latter a complete I386 for Windows XP? Could I copy it to C:L\ and use it for this purpose (if I could find SourcePath)?

dogbreath1 14:24 17 Feb 07
  VoG II 14:24 17 Feb 07

Try looking for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

See click here

Jackcoms 14:25 17 Feb 07

The whole point of sfc /scannow is that it will demand the installation/recovery disc.

If any .dll files in i386 are damaged or missing it will meed the disc to replace those files.

Try the disc you have

dogbreath1 14:26 17 Feb 07

Works great after the registry tweak.

Link courtesy of VoG™

dogbreath1 14:28 17 Feb 07

Correct...but I386 is much better being drawn from your hard drive to prevent the endless requests to insert your system disc.

Jackcoms 14:41 17 Feb 07

Point taken.

It would have helped, of course, if I'd bothered to read through the link you gave.

Which I have now!

SLAYER 14:47 17 Feb 07

useful tips.

Amus 17:05 17 Feb 07

Thanks all, but I still don't know what's a valid I386 file for this purpose. The biggest one seems to be on the Service Pack 2 CD. I don't know if the disc will let me copy this to C:\ but if I do, will it serve the purpose?

dogbreath1 18:47 17 Feb 07

click here

This makes it clear that your machine will require files from the I386 folders both from within SP1 and SP2.

Why not open your original system disc and your SP2 disc in explorer and copy over all I386 files from each (allowing any SP2 files to overwrite their SP1 predecessors) into a new folder (C:\I386) on your hard drive.

Make sure the file path registry changes are made then give sfc/ scannow another whirl.

lotvic 21:26 17 Feb 07

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…