sfc /scannow + cannot open cbs.log

hatrickj 00:54 03 Jan 11

Win7 Home Premium 64 bit

Ran scannow as having some oddities and unable to get system to restore. Was advised of corrupted files that could not be repaired, abd that details were in cbs.log,
Did elevated command prompt as per instructions but access still denied.

Discovered this from a thread earlier this year
//From Microsoft.

Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:
Open an elevated command prompt as admin. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:
Open an elevated command prompt.
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.
edit sfcdetails.txt
The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail //

Followed it but all I got was several lines starting IGNORE etc
and then something like Input L or R,

I'm utterly confused now how I repair or replace the corrupted files.

As simply as you can please help!

northumbria61 08:21 03 Jan 11

You may have to do a Windows 7 Repair Install (you will need the original Install Disc) - others may have different suggestions - but here are instructions on how to do it click here

hatrickj 09:21 03 Jan 11

Sorry for what are likely daft questions.

With the Dell documentation there is nothing that looks like a normal Windows disk. The nearest (i think) choice is their Operating System disk- headed Re installation DVD, Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

Is that the one or is mine perhaps somewhere on my Hard Drive?

Terry Brown 09:58 03 Jan 11

The DVD Re installation DVD, Windows 7 home premium, will perform a factory reset of your system, deleting any windows related (and possibly others) that are on your hard drive.

Only use this after you have saved (backed up) all your working data to another location.

Terry

northumbria61 11:48 03 Jan 11

"Sorry for what are likely daft questions" -

there's no need to apologise - if we all knew the answers to problems there would be no need to ask questions (what a dull world)

With a Genuine Windows 7 installation disc you would have been able to perform the "repair" I suggested and preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system driver BUT as Terry Brown points out in the absence of that - (ie: you just have a DVD Re-Installation Disc) it WILL return things to how it was the day it came out of the factory in which case it will take longer to get back to normal.

Follow Terry Brown's info. and backup ALL your working data to a seperate location - following the factory restore you will need to install all your programs again.

northumbria61 11:53 03 Jan 11

Further - before you go ahead with the DVD Re-installation Disc. I would give sfc /scannow another go in SAFE mode - I don't know if it will make any difference but may be worth a try.

hatrickj 12:16 03 Jan 11

Would this way be better?
click here

hatrickj 15:53 03 Jan 11

click here

Oops try the above instead

northumbria61 20:41 03 Jan 11

Well I have had to read that whilst lying horizontal - but yes it does say it "Allows you to restore your hard drive to the Operating state it was in when you purchased your computer without erasing the existing personal files and data"

If that is the disc you have to "restore" BUT it does state that you need to make a FULL system backup first - and I would advise you to that.

northumbria61 20:42 03 Jan 11

Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and you shouldn't have any problems.

hatrickj 21:24 03 Jan 11

@northumbria61
//Well I have had to read that whilst lying horizontal//

Sorry about that: usually I can manage to rotate before putting in to Google Docs. Perhaps I was in flap mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…