SFC /SCANNOW

sunny staines 19:07 15 Jan 08

Using a laptop with xp pro media center 2005 O/S.

not got the cd, can a XP PRO cd be used for this scan or will it mess things up.

skidzy 19:10 15 Jan 08

Like for like Sunny,pro for pro home for home.

If the os is preinstalled,you may not need the disc.

sunny staines 19:15 15 Jan 08

o/s is pre installed to hidden partition as one big image file so cannot copy i386 file to the root dir.

was not sure if the basic xp pro disc was ok on the xp pro media system or if i needed the media o/s disc.

wotbus@ 19:20 15 Jan 08

If you change the reg path for the I386 folder from D (if it's pre-installed) to C, you won't require the disc.

wotbus@ 19:25 15 Jan 08

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Setup and see if the Source Path is set to D. If it is, change it to C.

sunny staines 19:53 15 Jan 08

wotbus

opened up the key you suggested but could not tell how to check the source path to establish C or D

skidzy 19:54 15 Jan 08

Sunny

Understanding sfc click here

As the os is preinstalled,i would doubt the disc is needed....is this asking for the disc ?

I think you will be fine with your pro disc...you will soon know if sfc asks again for a different disc....nothing lost but plenty to gain.

wotbus@ 19:59 15 Jan 08

skidzy's link should do it. SFC SCANNOW makes Windows check original files against those in the Windows folder "I386", which is the same in XP and Pro (and probably Multimedia as well). It may not be present in XP SP1, not sure about that).

sunny staines 20:10 15 Jan 08

skidzy and wotbus thanks will run it tomorrow.

sunny staines 14:30 17 Jan 08

Just ran SFC /SCANNOW when it asked for the cd I used a xp pro cd but it would not accept it asking for cd2. There was no option to BROWSE so I could point to the hidden partition. Other than to buy a retail copy of media edition 2005 not sure how I could sort this issue.

any more advice please.

skidzy 17:15 17 Jan 08

Sunny have you tried editing the registry entry sourcepath ?

Simply navigate through regedit to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

Double click Sourcepath in the righthand pane,this will possibly show the value data as c:/ change the value to d:/ and ok.

This may take a reboot to have effect.

Though i would recommend exporting the original registry entry first to your desktop.
This can be done by highlighting the sourcepath and select file and export.
This will create a backup for you of the original entry.That can be replaced by using file and import.

I am assuming the recovery partition is on d:/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…