several networks appear on list

willo500 10:40 05 Apr 06

Hi

I set up a network with Netgear DG834G and Network WG111 between my laptop (SP pro SP2) and desktop (XP Home SP2). I tried to connect my printer for sharing but got a windows message saying I had to enable my pc for home networking. I did this during this process named the network "mshome". It then said I had to use the Windows XP installation disk on my laptop to do the same. I did this too. Anyway it still didn't work until I realised it was the firewalls which were stopping things. I readjusted and it seems to work.

However I notice there seems to be a few networks listed on my pc. One of which is mshome. This is the one I set up using XP. I am now wondering if I have set up this one unnecessarily and whether I should delete it or not. Does this "mshome" actually need to exist? Is it the name for the network or what? Sorry for the vagueness but as you can tell I am clueless about this stuff.

Should I buy a book and if so which one ?~

Thanks for your help

Willo

willo500 10:42 05 Apr 06

Hmm seems I rambled on a bit. What I really need to know is whether or not XP has set up an additional network to the one alread in existence when I installed the netgear router and adapter. If it has should I delete this additional one and how would I do it?

Thanks

Willo

willo500 11:13 05 Apr 06

Oops and scratch the book request. Just saw the same thing in another topic

ade.h 17:19 05 Apr 06

MSHOME is a workgroup name, and indicates that you have not chosen one of your own. Which is generally okay in most circumstances.

If you are talking about SSIDs appearing in either the Available Networks list via the WLAN icon in the Notification Area, or the Wireless Networks tab of your wireless LAN adapter's properties pallette, these can be removed for good.

Enter your WLAN adapter's properties pallette via a right-click from the Network Connections folder (specifically). Go to the middle tab of three and look at the list of available networks. Delete all bar your own.

willo500 21:28 05 Apr 06

Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…