setup shuts down

milf 03:55 13 Dec 04

I am running Windows 98 on a Pentium III 266. Upon start up when I hit the del key to go to setup, I only get to see the set up screen for a second or two before the screen goes black and the computer stalls. I have to shut it off and start it up again to get going. (Hitting restart/reset has no effect.) It runs fine but I can't access the set up screen. Any ideas on how I can? Should I reinstall Win 98 or better yet upgrade to Win 2000?
Thanks. By the way,this forum has been a great source of solutions in the past for me - good job everyone!
Dan

Diodorus Siculus 08:04 13 Dec 04

A BIOS flash might sort it out but I would only do that as a last resort.

The operating systems will make no difference; this setup screen is independent of the OS.

Why do you need to go into it? There may be another way to solve your problem.

milf 17:44 13 Dec 04

I was going into set up to see how my drive,CDrom and CDwriter are set up, as I want to install a second hard drive. What I can do is try it first as a slave and then, if that doesn't work, as a master on the end connector of my 2ndary IDE cable (which has the CD writer in the first connector.) Although I may be able to get the second drive working this way, it still seems odd that I cannot access setup - I used to be able to.
Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…