Setup Cannot Find Windows To Upgrade

Offline 08:40 24 Jan 03
  Offline 08:40 24 Jan 03

After yesterdays problems with windows installer I eventualy decided to do a XP repair. All went well until the screen came up 'Setup Cannot Find The Windows Installation To Upgrade'. I tried the Setup several times to no avail. Any ideas?
The PC works fine apart from the MS Office problem.

JoeC 08:43 24 Jan 03

but did you want to repair or upgrade ?? Both are mentioned in this post. If you want to just repair : -
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
Insert WinXP CD, restart computer.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
When I tried it for the first time, I nearly wet myself as I thought it was reinstalling and wiping all my other programmes out. It does work though !
Regards : }

Offline 08:47 24 Jan 03

Yesterdays post:

'ver since installing a program a week ago that updated my system files & rebooted before installing, when I now install any program Microsoft Office XP re-installs itself first. It seems to me that my installer may have been downgraded. Is there any way of fixing this as it is irritating to say the least and on two occasions I have had to re-register Office XP. I am running XP Home with SP1.'

Running Scannow did not fix the issue so I wanted to do a repair & had the problem in this posting.

JoeC 09:06 24 Jan 03

running SFC ? Just in case you haven't, put your WinXP in the drive then go START > RUN and in the run box type in ( or copy and paste ) the following sfc /scannow which should fix any corrupted files.Note there is a space between sfc and the / . If this has been suggested then accept my apologies. Regards : }

JoeC 09:08 24 Jan 03

Just re-read your post. Jeez, I must get these glasses fixed. Sorry . . . run the repair function and that should sort it out.

Offline 09:07 25 Jan 03

Thank you, it works beautifully now goodness only knows what I was doing before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…