Setup cannot continue

The Bard 16:05 05 Apr 09

I have Windows XP, SP3. I have been trying to carry out a repair install. BIOS is set to load from CD first, and I tap key at appropriate time, but Windows loads as normal. Running the installation CD from within Windows (right-click on 'My Computer')I get the Message "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on your CD"

I have read, but not understood, slipstreaming. Is there a simpler way that a novice can follow?

brundle 16:20 05 Apr 09

Do you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message?

ened 16:26 05 Apr 09

Assuming you have backed everything up try a fresh install.

It also might help if you disconnect all unnecessary hardware until after the install.

brundle 16:30 05 Apr 09

How can a fresh install be done if the CD won't boot?

Pineman100 16:34 05 Apr 09

I had never carried out slipstreaming before, but I found this: click here

Using that free software it was honestly dead easy. All you need is a Windows XP CD. The version isn't important, but it must be a valid XP CD with the product key. You also need to have the SP3 file downloaded from Microsoft - click here

Autostreamer talks you through the process very clearly, and you'll end up with a slipstreamed version of XP SP3. You then need to burn this to a CD as an ISO file. If you don't have software that can do this, click here

The Bard 17:27 05 Apr 09

Yes, I did see "Press any key", but it didn't make any difference.

brundle 17:33 05 Apr 09

Is the disc clean? At least it shows your system recognises a bootable CD.

brundle 17:37 05 Apr 09

Similar issue here; click here

lotvic 22:55 05 Apr 09

It might be because you are using a wireless keyboard.
try with a PS/2 keyboard plugged in

The Bard 10:51 06 Apr 09

Process worked ok for a while, installed Autostreamer, 'loaded' Xp, dowloaded and saved SP3, but when I tried to 'load' SP3 into Autostreamer window I keep getting message "Error 70: Permission denied". Why are computers never easy!

Pineman100 12:48 06 Apr 09

Are you sure that your XP disk is a valid Microsoft disk, and not a computer manufacturer's recovery disk?

I'm not sure whether the latter would work or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…