setup for broadband?

Mike Mills 21:21 16 Sep 03

can anybody please help me by giving me any advice or links, so that i may set my pc and adsl modem up correctly?

I have just downloaded and run a broadband speed test and the results were very poor to say the least!

Being an avid reader of the postings here, i'm sure one of you will be able to assist.

Thank you. Mike

mark500 21:32 16 Sep 03
  Mike Mills 21:47 16 Sep 03

thanks mark, was really looking for suggestions on changing settings on my pc.

The test I previously did said I had 100% loss of packets coming back - connection hardly working?

I am on BT openworld as service provider and have win XP home installed.

roy 21:50 16 Sep 03

I had very slow speeds at first when I got broadband but found that I had overlooked a bedroom phone when it came to installing filters. Every single phone in the house needed a filter. Once I had remedied that I was up to expectations most of the time. However, occasionally, it is still slow and I find that the best (and only) thing to do is to re boot the pc and start all over again.

Mike Mills 21:53 16 Sep 03

I have filters on all phones, thanks roy.
I have tried re-booting and still seems slow and the test results still read pretty awful! lol

Ahhhh.....the joys of computing!!

The Sack 21:54 16 Sep 03

Apart from putting the filters on right and installing the modem and drivers there isnt much else to do. even if you tweak your MTU settings you can only expect a small improvment if indeed any at all.

Mike Mills 21:57 16 Sep 03

hows does one "tweak the MTU settings"?

one last try then leave it until tomorrow!!

mark500 22:06 16 Sep 03

click here Go to the tweaks. Be VERY careful though.

Irishman 22:09 16 Sep 03
  roy 18:38 17 Sep 03

If you are still having this problem then you must get on to your ISP and get them to have your line checked by BT.

Roy

roy 18:20 24 Sep 03

Any luck??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…