settings not being saved (XP)

ashdav 01:26 13 Mar 05

I've just reinstalled XP and SP2.When I try to remove EN from the taskbar and change the view (list,icons,etc) of any folders the changes stay in effect until the next time the computer is booted up.Then everything goes back to defaults. I'm signed on as administrator and there is only one user account. I've reinstalled exactly as on previous occasions. Anyone know what causes this or have I not pressed a button somewhere.

FelixTCat 08:58 13 Mar 05

Open any folder and set it up the way you want, then go to Tools - Folder Options - View and click on Apply to All Folders.

Close out and close the current folder. The settings should now stick.

FelixTCat 09:03 13 Mar 05

Inn case I misunderstood and you don't want all the folders the same, do the same action as I stated above, but don't click the Apply button. Scroll down and there is an option box "Remember each folder's view settings". Make sure that box is ticked.

VoG II 09:49 13 Mar 05
  ashdav 10:13 13 Mar 05

FelixTcat thx folder views now ok. VoG thx saved your link for future reference. EN still comes back in the language bar even though I untick it. It's not a problem but I just wonder why it's happening. It didn't before the reinstall and doesn't on my other computer. Any further suggestions?

Dorsai 10:42 13 Mar 05

I think this happens when a user account gets 'damaged' so windows treats it as a 'temporary' account. Hence all you personalizations get lost on reboot. click here

Check out the account 'status' following the instructions just above figure B from my link, and see if your ststus is 'local' or 'temp'.

handful 10:50 13 Mar 05

Have you tried right clicking on EN Settings and in the Preferences section click on Language Bar. Then make sure Show the Language Bar on the desktop is unchecked. I know it is only another way of doing what you were doing but you never know, it may stick this way??

ashdav 20:48 13 Mar 05

Dorsai account is shown as local. handful Sorted thanks. I wasn't right clicking close enough to the icon and a different window was opening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…