Settings in network connections keep changing.

ian-inhome 18:18 10 Sep 06

My internet connection is slow. Pages such as the BBC news will often time out.
If I listen to radio stations then the program will often cut out for a few seconds.
If I go to Network connections / properties/ security I find the box marked advanced (custom settings) is ticked. If I select typical (recommended settings) then I receive the message “some settings will not take effect until the next time you dial it”
I then immediately disconnect then reconnect. The internet then works ok and if I look again at network connections they are still on typical. However next time I switch on they have reverted back to custom settings. Any ideas on how I can get them to stay on typical.
Windows XP pro with all updates/ Speedtouch 330 modem. /Tiscali 1 mb broadband connections all though the connection always states speed 2.2mbs

johnnyrocker 19:28 10 Sep 06

delete and recreate the dial up connection, and run full suite of antispyware

johnny.

ian-inhome 19:53 10 Sep 06

Thanks for the reply johnny.
I have tried deleting and recreating the dial up connections. I have tried running both Adaware and spybot but the problem remains.

skidzy 19:59 10 Sep 06

Also try Ewido click here and if you suspect a virus,maybe an online scanner click here Alternatively,you may consider deleting everything to do with the speedtouch and reboot and reload the software.

Sounds like Malware or a virus to me.

Hope this helps

ian-inhome 20:20 10 Sep 06

Hi skidzy I have just clicked on your link to try Ewido. The page came up in firefox but as I wasnt using internet explorer it could not do an online scan
unless I downloaded a version. I then switched to internet explorer but received the following> 403 "Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list"
This now happens whicever page I try to access via ie but Firefox still works

skidzy 20:23 10 Sep 06

Try an IE repair click here

Then we will try from there or even sfc /scannow click here

ian-inhome 20:58 10 Sep 06

Hi Skidzy.
Ie now working again with ie repair.
I have just downloaded Ewido and i am doing a full scan rather than an online scan. It may be tomorrow before i can come back to the problem. Many thanks for your help.

skidzy 21:07 10 Sep 06

Your welcome ian-inhome,glad to be of help.

Many good links are posted here at PCA that help lots of problems.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now