setting up xp fax

DMAN 14:36 17 Apr 05

I would like to set up xp fax on my computer. I have installed the program but am unsure how i should set it up because i am currently using aol broadband. Don't quite know what i should do regarding connections of modems etc...

can someone help please

DieSse 14:51 17 Apr 05

You will need a regular dial-up modem, which you connect to the telephone line just as you would a telephone - ie via a filter.

Stuartli 15:05 17 Apr 05

Here are previous threads on the subject:

click here

DMAN 15:23 17 Apr 05

ok I seem to have set it up ok but when sending a fax the document is in word format.

How do I import it into the win xp fax to send. There isn't an option or am I missing something?

DieSse 15:44 17 Apr 05

A fax is in fax format - it cannot be any other way. If you write your fax in Word, then send it, it will be translated into a fax format automatically. There isn't anything else to do.

The received document should look like the original document - that should be what you want, surely.

Stuartli 15:52 17 Apr 05

I presume you've added the Fax Console from Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Components and configured the setting up of the utility?

If so you go to Programs>Accessories>Communications>Fax and open the Send Fax link.

DMAN 16:00 17 Apr 05

ok....I've used windows fax viewer to create my document i want to send (used scanner). But what I don't understand is when I go to send fax it asks for all the relevant information and creates a front page but there isn't an option to input my fax file I've point in sending just a front sheet....

Stuartli 16:13 17 Apr 05

Try using Word to send a scanned document by fax (File>Send To>Fax Recipient.

Stuartli 16:14 17 Apr 05

You still require a dialup modem to send faxes - there are ways apparently with broadband but it seems it's fairly complicated.

DMAN 16:18 17 Apr 05

I have a modem installed and I have tried to send it through word all goes well and it does give a message at the end saying that the fax was sent. However I don't hear any dialling from the modem...should I?

DieSse 16:29 17 Apr 05

"However I don't hear any dialling from the modem...should I?" - not necessarily, if the modem is muted or for several other reasons.

The important thing is - was the fax received????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…