Setting up Wireless Router to Virgin Media?

canal92 21:26 14 Sep 07

I am having problems understanding how to set up Home network

I have Broadband via Virgin / NTL router modem at present connected to PC via Cat5 network cable ( But this about 30M cable going from cable TV entrance via front window around the lounge (unsightly) to PC desk 6mtr away but say ten following contour of building (Lounge /dining room)
I would like to do away with the Cat5 and just rely on Wireless for my PC and Laptop and sons laptop
I can connect but cannot find a way of setting up a secure connection
it says connected through unsecured connection others
may see what you are doing
I tried to set it up WAP

What am I doing wrong and must I have hardwired CAT5 for first connection

Ashrich 21:49 14 Sep 07

What make and model of wireless router do you have ? First connection only needs to be hard wired to set the router up , do it with one of the laptops so you can get close to the router , then when all is done you can disconnect the cable and connect the laptop wirelessly . What are you actually doing to try encrypting the signal ? Using WPA at it's most basic just needs a memorable long word or phrase without any gaps between the letters or some gobbledegook that you have a written note of , enter it into the correct page of the router , restart the router then try connecting , when asked for the passphrase enter the word , phrase or whatever you have created into the box ( once for Vista , twice for XP ) and click on connect .

Ashley

Strawballs 19:27 15 Sep 07

click here Does this help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…