Setting up wireless network with Wanadoo broadband

cyberphobic 23:02 31 Mar 05

I am selling a laptop to one of my daughter's friends which is fitted with an 802.11g PCMCIA wireless card. She would like me to set up a wireless connection so that the laptop can be enjoyed all over the house. She already has Wanadoo broadband which I think comes with a Thomsom USB modem, which is already wired direct to the main PC. Am I correct in thinking that I can buy an ethernet hub and connect it to the modem and then plug the wired PC and the wireless access point into it, thus providing wired/wireless access, or do I need to buy a router to achieve this

phil.s 23:42 31 Mar 05

Hi cyberphobic.

The Thomson SpeedTouch USB modem cannot easily be connected to a router.

I subscribe to Wanadoo Broadband (with the same USB modem supplied)and chose a Belkin wireless router/ADSL modem which works fine. Since I purchased the '54g' router, Belkin and others have now introduced the superfast 100Mb/s wireless modem so you may wish to choose one of them.

The main PC is connected via ethernet cable and may require a network interface card available for around £10.

Phil.

cyberphobic 13:47 01 Apr 05

Cheers, I've had a look on eBay and I reckon I should be able to get a wireless router/adsl modem for £40 to £50 which will be a good result. Thanks for your help.

phil.s 15:03 01 Apr 05

If you have problems just post again or email me.

Phil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac