Setting up a Wireless Network for a completeNovice

Steve27 22:10 22 Apr 03

I want to set up a wireless network between my Desktop and Laptop both running WXP Home I ordered a Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G and a Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G from Amazon yesterday and expect delivery tomorrow.

I have looked at the setup information on the web site and it seems fairly straightforward but as I have never had anything at all to do with networks I just wondered if anyone had any tips to save me messing up.

For instance having set up the hardware do I then have to run the network wizards on both computers?

Ignorance isn't bliss in unknown territory so I would appreciate a pointer or two or is it so simple that it'll be obvious?

Thanks

Forum Editor 23:32 22 Apr 03

the setup wizard on both machines.

Make sure that both machines are configured with the same workgroup name - MSHOME is offered as a default - and that both machines have a different name.

A common complaint by network novices is that the machines can't see one another on the network, and one of the most common causes is personal firewalls not being configured to allow traffic both ways.

Once you've completed the hardware installation, run the WindowsXP networking wizard on both machines. Make sure you have enabled sharing on any folders or drives that you want to access, although as a general networking rule it's not a good idea to share the root of a drive. In a home environment this doesn't really matter, unless you plan to share an internet connection between the computers - in that situation you're taking a risk if you enable sharing for the root of the C drive for instance.

Good luck - you know where to come if you hit problems.

Steve27 00:15 23 Apr 03

Thank you very much I am going to share a broadband connection so I will follow your advice.

Steve27 00:20 23 Apr 03

PS: Its so helpful to have this forum to come to and to know that if it all goes pear shaped I'll be rescued, it has to be one of the best computing resources on the internet!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…