Setting up wireless network

dazz10 09:28 13 Dec 06

Hi,

Hopefully a simple one for you!!

I have a desktop running XP and a laptop running windows 2000.
They are both connected wirelessly to my router and connect to the internet fine.

What I need to know is how to setup a drive/folder between the 2 that both machines can see so I can share files across my network.

Many thanks

Aargh 17:16 13 Dec 06

Never used 2000, but in XP you have the Network Wizard to set up network places & shared folders.

Start from My Computer>My Network Places

dazz10 22:51 13 Dec 06

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried this feature in XP but it creates a disk which you need to run on the other machine and the only operating system this disk won't run on is w2k!!! Just my luck!!

mgmcc 09:37 14 Dec 06

You don't need a disk and you don't need to run the network wizard, although you might find the wizard in XP helpful.

Make sure both computers are in the *same* Workgroup.

Set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing option.

Configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

You may have to be logged into both computers using 'Accounts' with an identical Username & Password. This is almost certain to be necessary to access Windows 2000 and XP Professional (but not XP Home).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…