Setting up wireless

Ferrari-Fan 09:23 10 May 09

Having just purchased my first laptop, I am about to set up a wireless router to connect to Virgin broadband. About 3 yrs ago I bought a Belkin F5D7230uk4 router, but didn't get round to using it as plans changed and I stayed on wired connection.

Now I have decided to dust it down and attempt to set it up. Due to the quick installation disc being pre Vista, will it still work in setting up on my Vista system?

Someone told me that I should set it up by connecting everything up, then opening explorer, typing in the IP address that Belkin advise, then follow the instructions in the manual on the CD.

Having read the instructions on the CD, some of the terminology is a bit baffling to a beginner eg Dynamic or Static IP address(whatever that means!)

Is everything more straight forward than it seems? Are there pitfalls to watch out for? etc etc!

Or.... should I just try with the quick installation disc? Or....should I be looking at purchasing a more up to date router, even purchasing one from virgin?

More importantly....If i get into a mess, can i just plug the ethernet wire back in as currently set up in order to get back online to ask for more help from you guys?

birdface 10:04 10 May 09

Hi set one up for my grand daughter but it came with a disc and it was just a matter of running the disc and adding a username and password and it worked fine.
Mind you it came with an ethernet cable.it was just a matter of connecting it to the modem and on to the router.Make sure that you have the wireless turned on on the laptop and it should find the connection ok.
It was the first time that I had tried setting one up and was quite pleased that it worked ok.

Pineman100 15:51 10 May 09

Have you looked at this Belkin support page? click here

There's a firmware download (presumably the latest) and various links to helpful tutorials.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac