Setting up wifi and printer server

rickwoo 10:18 07 Nov 05

I need some advice on hardware to buy. I have a PC and just invested in a laptop. I have ordered broadband through pipex, so want to set up wifi so I can use the laptop anywhere in the house. I also want to be able to print wirelessly as well. Can I buy a combined router and printer server? Also, I would like to access my folders on my PC from my laptop when I am in the house. How do I do this wirelessly? Finally I am worried about people accessing my computer through the wifi connection. How do I combat this? Sorry for the many requests, but I am so confused!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mike

The Kestrel 11:24 07 Nov 05

You need to purchase a combined wireless modem/router. If your PC is not wifi enabled you can hard wire it to the modem/router if it is close to the 'phone socket. If not you will need to buy either a wireless USB adapter or a wireless card to go in your PC. Your laptop will probably have wifi capability if it is new, otherwise you will need an adapter for that too.

Pipex will supply all the information you need to set up the broadband connection to the modem/router. To connect wirelessly to your PCs, use the set up wizard that comes with Microsoft XP operating system. Likewise there is another wizard that enables you to set up a home network that allows you to share both files and printers between PCs in the network. The wizards can be found in the control panel.

Setting up a secure network is included in the wizard settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…