Setting Up Wi Fi

fox-knight 14:58 05 Oct 07

Hi all, recently bought myself a laptop (its arriving tomorrow), its wi fi enabled. I need it to be wireless at home, currently subscribe to virgin broaddband & have a 2mb connection through their cable modem. I still need my desktop to be hardwired,

is this just a matter of buying a wireless router and running it alongside my desktop pc?

is there a particular router that i need?

do i need any further equipment?

Thanks in advance for your help
Bob

Technotiger 15:17 05 Oct 07

I am not familiar with Virgin Cable - however, a wireless router connected via ethernet cable to desktop pc may be all you need, that is if pc has a ethernet connection on the back. If it has no ethernet connection already, you would also need a pci ethernet card to fit into the desktop - these are very cheap and easy to fit.

Technotiger 15:21 05 Oct 07

Ethernet connection images ...

click here

Technotiger 15:30 05 Oct 07

Ethernet card ...

click here

keef66 15:49 05 Oct 07

As Technotiger says, network cable connects modem to router, then you have the desktop wired into the router, and the laptop communicating wirelessly with it.

fox-knight 16:02 05 Oct 07

GOT ETHERNET ALREADY THATS HOW MY MODEMS PLUGGED IN AT PRESENT,

SO LOOKS LIKE A WIRELESS ROUTERS ALL I NEED THEN!!

THANKS AGAIN

1234s282 16:14 05 Oct 07

I also have Virgin Media 2MB Cable Broadband which i have recently turned wireless with.

I use the Belkin F5D7320-4 router which has 4 built in ethernet ports. If your running xp or below you can also use the easy install software included with the router , making it really easy to setup. In vista , the router has to be set up manually.

I would really recommend this router - Quick and easy to setup and you can connect upto 32 PCS!

Technotiger 16:15 05 Oct 07

Yep - good luck with it.

Just a note - All capitals is considered as Shouting on the forum, much frowned upon.

But welcome back anytime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac