Setting Up Wi Fi

fox-knight 14:58 05 Oct 07

Hi all, recently bought myself a laptop (its arriving tomorrow), its wi fi enabled. I need it to be wireless at home, currently subscribe to virgin broaddband & have a 2mb connection through their cable modem. I still need my desktop to be hardwired,

is this just a matter of buying a wireless router and running it alongside my desktop pc?

is there a particular router that i need?

do i need any further equipment?

Thanks in advance for your help
Bob

Technotiger 15:17 05 Oct 07

I am not familiar with Virgin Cable - however, a wireless router connected via ethernet cable to desktop pc may be all you need, that is if pc has a ethernet connection on the back. If it has no ethernet connection already, you would also need a pci ethernet card to fit into the desktop - these are very cheap and easy to fit.

Technotiger 15:21 05 Oct 07

Ethernet connection images ...

click here

Technotiger 15:30 05 Oct 07

Ethernet card ...

click here

keef66 15:49 05 Oct 07

As Technotiger says, network cable connects modem to router, then you have the desktop wired into the router, and the laptop communicating wirelessly with it.

fox-knight 16:02 05 Oct 07

GOT ETHERNET ALREADY THATS HOW MY MODEMS PLUGGED IN AT PRESENT,

SO LOOKS LIKE A WIRELESS ROUTERS ALL I NEED THEN!!

THANKS AGAIN

1234s282 16:14 05 Oct 07

I also have Virgin Media 2MB Cable Broadband which i have recently turned wireless with.

I use the Belkin F5D7320-4 router which has 4 built in ethernet ports. If your running xp or below you can also use the easy install software included with the router , making it really easy to setup. In vista , the router has to be set up manually.

I would really recommend this router - Quick and easy to setup and you can connect upto 32 PCS!

Technotiger 16:15 05 Oct 07

Yep - good luck with it.

Just a note - All capitals is considered as Shouting on the forum, much frowned upon.

But welcome back anytime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…