setting up web site

stourry 09:46 20 Apr 03

can anyone give me tips hints or any usefull information about how to set up a god looking wb site. all help would be appreciated

thanks i advance

Pesala 10:55 20 Apr 03

Do a Google search for sites on topics related to what you want to do. Shortlist a few features of the sites you liked best, and note why you liked them.

Choose a web-creation package to suit your PC knowledge. Serif do some good cheap products. Open Office can be used if you want a free package. If you want a complex site with many pages, go for a professional package like NetObjects Fusion click here that generates all the HTML code for you and is easy to use, unlike the industry standard Dreamweaver.

Make sure you have Irfan View and Xara Webstyle for creating transparent gifs and jpg images. Graphics are very important for a beautiful website, but they must be optimised, i.e. no bigger than necessary.

If your site has many pages, re-use the same elements as much as possible without being boring. Avoid dark backgrounds and colours that make text impossible to read.

Make any text as brief as possible, and spell-check it thoroughly. Use three pages with a hundred words on each, instead of one page with a hundred words wherever possible. Use the principles of Presentation Graphics.

? Bullet Points

? Spacing

? Illustrations

? (~ _~) Humour \(?_?)/

Test your website in Internet Explorer and Opera at different screen resolutions. 800 x 600 is a good size to design for, and definitely no more than 1024 x 768.

Pesala 11:04 20 Apr 03

Still having problems with my new browser and my proof reading.

That should be one page with three hundred words and \(°_°)/

barryoneoff.co.uk 13:49 20 Apr 03

a host that offers all the facilities to build, upload, and host your site try these: For a freebie click here For a pay for click here I have used them both. You dont have to lay out cash for any software at all and they suit both beginner and experienced users.
I started with a free 20m account,, then went on to oneandone. Good luck, Whiz...

Forum Editor 00:42 21 Apr 03

Before you think about the nuts and bolts of this I suggest that you identify the job the site is going to do.

Is it going to sell a product or service, or is it going to be an information resource of some kind - with no commercial purpose at all?

Before you even begin on the visual design take a sheet of paper and design the navigation layout - it's probably the second most important aspect of web design. The most important is content of course - there are a million 'vanity'sites out there which serve no purpose, other than to provide the site owner with the pleasure of seeing his/her creation on the Internet. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but if that's what your site will be about you can safely ignore most of the rules - very few people are going to see the site anyway.

Golden rules of site design:

1. Keep it simple - lots of people clutter up their sites with moving, flashing gizmos that distract the visitors and drive them away. Nothing marks a site as "amateur" more than animated gifs all over the place.

2. Keep it valid - content should be relevant to the subject, and verified. Nobody wants to read about your girlfriend's 21st party, other than her and her friends, and a site that's full of pictures of people getting drunk is the biggest Internet turn off of all time. If you're including reference material make sure that you verify it - check every little detail to make sure it's correct.

3. Use a spellchecker. A mass of bad spelling and bad grammar is the kiss of death, and there's no excuse for it nowadays - most good word processors will keep you on the straight and narrow.

4. Bad taste is out. You might think that the latest joke about the vicar and the barmaid is hilarious, but 50% of your audience will not. Humour is a personal thing, and nothing is tackier than a site with a lot of dirty or racist jokes (usually filched from some other site). Similarly, leave out sexual references, or anything to do with religion - unless yours is a religious site of course.

5. Don't pinch images or text from other sites unless you have a copyright release, and don't hyperlink to other sites - especially corporate ones unless they have given permission. It's good etiquette to ask the webmaster, and many sites have a linking policy displayed somewhere on the site. It's very bad manners to link directly to an inside page on a site - always link to the index page unless otherwise asked.

6. Avoid hit counters like the plague - they're uncool in the extreme.

7. Design your pages to a theme - the same background and colours throughout will give it a more sophisticated look, and above all avoid font abuse. Use the same web-friendly font throughout the site - my favourite is Verdana so that all browsers will display the text properly. Don't use flashy backgrounds - plain white is best, but if you must have a colour keep it very pale. Avoid black backgrounds and lime green text unless you are running a gaminmg site, or something gothic.

That's it.

Well, you did ask. Good luck with your site - let us have a look at it when you're online.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:51 21 Apr 03

What's a gaminmg site? As FE said, always use a spellchecker!

powerless 00:56 21 Apr 03

Number 5.

Why don't hyperlink to other sites, surely this is good for the other site?

Or is being linked from a bad site that the webmaster may not like?

Paperback Writer 01:07 21 Apr 03

I think Flash intros are terrible too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5