setting up and using online fax

jarani 16:25 28 Oct 06

hi guys - my old fax incorporated in the telephone is fine but i would like to move over to using a computer based fax - which currently i do not understand - what do i need please ?

few shops now stock the rolled thermal printing paper and copies fade fast - i know that i can buy a new normal paper telephone fax - but why not use the computer - or am i barking up the wrong tree ? - your basic advice would be appreciated - jarani

Stuartli 16:29 28 Oct 06

You can only use a dialup modem (not broadband) to send and receive faxes in Windows.

All Windows operating systems, including XP, have always had an excellent fax system - in XP the Fax Console is installed from Start>Setting>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.

You may/will need your XP disk to install the fax feature (tick the Fax Services box).

Stuartli 16:30 28 Oct 06

Another way, offered by a number of ISPs and websites, is an e-mail to fax/fax to e-mail service - you obviously can use broadband for this method.

jarani 16:45 28 Oct 06

Stuartli - thank you - i have xp home and orange broadband - do i need a dialup to pay for sending the faxes ? - can i receive the faxes on line and send them by telephone ? - what would i need to do to receive the faxes on the computer ?

i am not sure that i understand your second option - how do i know if my isp offers this service ? - jarani

Stuartli 16:59 28 Oct 06

The dialup modem is used to send/receive faxes in the same way as your original telephone + fax machine.

However, Windows provides an Inbox, Outbox, Sent etc features on your system so you can keep a record of faxes sent or received.

For fax to e-mail etc see:

click here=

for a choice of providers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…