setting up two PCs for internet

geedad 22:20 16 Apr 10

I have an XP Sp2 Pc - my main PC- and a Windows 98 Pc.
I use Virgin broadband and I wish to use both PCs for internet purposes.
I have been reading about the NetGear RP614 Web Safe Router with 4-port 10/100 Mps Switch.
Has anyone connected their PCs using this (non-wireless) Router?
Both PCs are desktop, in the same room and about 3 yards apart. The information I have printed out from Netgear seems a bit technical, but highly informative.
Virgin have told me that the second PC needs to be Windows Xp also, but the Netgear info gives 98 the OK!
I don't want to spend too much, but I am being pressed by family who want to use the internet, usually at the same time!
The package contents are : The Router.
Vertical stand.
Resource CD.
Power Adapter.
Ethernet cable.
Setup guide.
Any advice,please?
geedad

northumbria61 23:30 16 Apr 10

I think Virgin are wrong - The LINK I am sending you is part of a review of the product from Amazon which clearly states the setting up of XP & Win.98

This review is from: NETGEAR RP614 Web Safe Router with 4-Port 10/100 Mbps Switch (Electronics)
I picked this router up after doing some research on customer reviews on different brands/models. I was deciding between this RP614NA and the FR114P (also Netgear). I finally decided on this one after it ended up in my Amazon gold box with an additional discount. The router setup took about 20 minutes for 2 PC's sharing AT&T Broadband Cable. (One XP and one Win 98SE). Another 10 min and I had the network up and going (file/printer sharing). Probably would have went even quicker if I had more networking experience. As far as speed, I haven't noticed any drop by adding the router.

I can't advise further as I have never used this product but I have many friends with Netgear Routers who find them very reliable.

woodchip 23:38 16 Apr 10

If you have Ethernet connections in both PC's all you do is connect with Ethernet Cables and PC and router will do the rest. It's only if you want to use Wireless that it gets more complex

woodchip 23:41 16 Apr 10

A Router is not interested in what Operating System you are using, I have Win98se and several XP computers only the 98se is connected by cable other are wireless but would work just the same with cable. I use a 3Com Router Modem.

PS the 98se comp as two drives one 98se on it and the other dual booted with XP Home on it

geedad 08:56 17 Apr 10

northumbria6
Great stuff!
That's music to my ears, and thank you very much!
woodchip
Thank you again for your contributions, always welcome!
I will let you all know how I get on later.
I continue to find the Forum members excellent in response times and expertise.
geedad

onthelimit 09:20 17 Apr 10

Just make sure the older PC has an ethernet port for an RJ45 plug. Not all older ones did - you can easily fit an adaptor if that is the case.

onthelimit 09:21 17 Apr 10

..should have read your 1st response more carefully!

woodchip 18:58 18 Apr 10

thats okay, as you say a pci card can be fitted if he as a free slot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…