Setting up a small home network

alexgray104 19:48 27 May 05

Hi Everyone, I'm a bit of a novice in networks. I want to set up a very small one (2 pcs) with the ability to connect a few more when nessecery. I have an Advent Tower PC and a HP Laptop. The laptop is wirelessly enabled. These are the steps I intend to follow. Please correct me if they are wrong!
1. Buy Wireless Broadband Router from Argos(=£89.99)
2. Plug into Advent PC
3.Follow instructions to set up
4. Press wireless button on Laptop and it will pick up the network(?)
5. Able to share Broadband, printers and files

As I have already said, I'M a novice in Networks. Any advice very much appreciated. Both are XP Home and have at least 256mb RAM

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:18 27 May 05

You could just buy a wireless card for the desktop pc and save yourself a lot of cash. Setting up a simple ad hoc network is the easy way to do things and you can always add a router later if you want to add more devices. If you're adamant you want to buy a router try looking on ebuyer click here or Novatech click here for cheaper (but just as good) routers.

TomJerry 11:07 28 May 05

your set up is correct, but Argos price is not good, you can get good Dlink DT604 (?) about £65

chub_tor 18:47 29 May 05

To set up a small network with windows xp http//

chub_tor 18:50 29 May 05

Sorry, try this link instead click here;en-us;813936

flavas 15:52 31 May 05

wht type of broadband are you using, ADSL or Cable? Just make sure that you get the right wireless modem router.
Also remember you need to configure the appropriate wireless security protocols,
WPA is recommeneded if it is available and you should set/activate the wireless part of the router before trying out the wireless on the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…