Setting up a shop on a website using PayPal

Ade_1 22:44 13 Mar 08

Hi,

I am meeting with some clients next week and after doing some research I believe that they'll be interested in having an online shop. I am currently exploring a number of possibilities but want to find out more about the PayPal payment system.

I was reading this thread, click here and by the looks of it you don't need to do anything special to the website apart from put in the 'Buy Now' buttons so to speak which will direct the viewer to PayPal secure payment and it will be dealt with by PayPal. Am I correct in saying this? If so it seems like a very simple option and possibly the best one to go with.

If someone could possibly provide me with a bit more information so that I can fully understand it then I would greatly appreciate it. It might be worth knowing too that the client only sells a few products, they don't sell hundreds of different items.

Thanks in advance

Ade_1

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:42 13 Mar 08

on one of my sites and it's just as you say. You create your button in Paypal and copy and past the code into your site.
Simple. But don't forget they charge you commission on all transactions. I think it's 3.4% unless they have changed it recently.

Forum Editor 23:33 14 Mar 08

is that you use the PayPal servers to generate code for a 'buy now' button for each of the products in your online shop. You paste the code into your pages and the buttons appear. Each button is specific to a single item.

When a customer clicks a 'buy now' button he/she is transferred to a unique page on a PayPal secure server, where credit card details can be entered. The transaction is authorised, and the customer is automatically returned to your site.

Transaction fees are on a sliding scale according to sales volume, and whether the transaction is for a UK card account or an international one - what PayPal calls a 'cross border' transaction. You'll pay 3.9% plus 20p on each transaction until you reach a total of £1500. Thereafter the fees decrease to a minimum of 1.9% when you reach £50,000 and beyond. These figures are for cross-border transactions - fees for UK transactions are 3.4% and 1.4% respectively. Fee scales are based on monthly turnover.

This information applies to the basic Paypal payment authorisation system; there are other service levels with added bells and whistles.

Ade_1 23:56 14 Mar 08

Thanks to both Barry and the FE. Some valuable information there.

PayPal does seem to be the better option as they don't sell many products really. Should the time come when they have many products to sell I can then look into e-commerce software but it just doesn't seem worth it at the moment, not when PayPal has the system that it has.

Thanks to both once again, it's much appreciated.

ajm 10:55 15 Mar 08

Another solution may be considering nochex click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced