Setting up a server.

rdh660 16:05 17 Jan 03
  rdh660 16:05 17 Jan 03

I am not even sure if this is possible but......... I have two computers, one with all I need installed, the other with just an operating system. Rather than network them together to simply share files etc.... is it possible to set the first up as a server and the other as a workstation to run the SOFTWARE etc from the server rather than to install it all onto the second computer and just share files through a network. If this is possible how difficult or advisable is this to do or is it just a pie in the sky idea on my part.

Gaz 25 17:17 17 Jan 03

The basic server is all you need, just install all your drivers for the network card and hook it up.

Then just add your internet connection and share it using the XP network wizard assuming you have got XP.

Then install all the printers, etc. and also share your Hard drive and computer and name it as Server.

This should convert your PC into a basic server. Make sure you have anti-vius on both PC's and a firewall on the serevr just to keep your files safe from prying eys.

Hope this helps.

rdh660 17:27 17 Jan 03

Thanks for your help Gaz...... seems as if it is possible so I will give it a go Regards Rob

Gaz 25 02:17 22 Feb 03

Hope to hear from you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…