Setting Up a Secure Page on a Website

thegreypanther 12:51 20 Nov 04

I would like to set up a page on a website which can only be accessed by "members", - password holders, for instance.
The information to be contained on this page is the personal data of the "members", and the general public need to be excluded from access to the information.
Are there any "how to" guides which would enable me to set up a secure area on an existing website? Any advice will be gladly received.

Forum Editor 14:39 20 Nov 04

in the real sense of the word can be a bit of a sledgehammer/nut situation for the average webmaster. A true secure site has to run on a secure server, and there are additional technologies involved - it's not cheap. In most cases it's not necessary either, you can paswword-protect a page (or several pages) quite easily.

One way of doing this is to run the site on a Windows server and create a workgroup, into which you place all your intended users. Each user has a username/password combination, and anyone who clicks on a hyperlink that points to the protected directory (or file) will be challenged by the server. This is a very robust method of protecting server files or directories, but it has drawbacks. You must run on a Windows server, and the server administrator has to add/remove workgroup members. Under normal circumstances the server administrator is your web host, and so this method isn't easily workable.

Probably your best bet is to use one of the excellent password utilities that exist in large numbers. Quality and ease of use can vary, and my personal recommendation is the Coffee Cup password manager. It will cost you $29 but frankly it's a bargain. You can even use it to direct different users to different pages - if you have special pages for individual people for example.

To find out more
click here there's even a free trial download.

thegreypanther 17:51 20 Nov 04

Many thanks for this informative answer.
It very much backs up what I thought, after going through some old copies of various internet magazines. Full security on a web site is something best left to the professionals, who know something about PHP and web scripting.
I shall have a look at the Coffee Cup password protection system, and see whether this will enable me to set up a usable system.
Many thanks, again.

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:21 21 Nov 04

and your hosting package. Many make it available themselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…