setting up second laptop on router WIFI connection

Florio 17:04 23 Dec 08

I have a wireless router (NETGEAR) at home for my laptop. I've had to buy a computer (Acer Aspire One A110) for my son to use at school next term (can you believe it?--he's only six years old!!) and I'm wondering how to set it up so that it uses the same router connection for internet.
The main problem is that a technician originally came here to set up the router as I was having a few problems, and I'm not sure exactly what he did, or where to find the password etc. on my own laptop.
I'd be very grateful if someone could take me through the steps of setting up a second connection using the one router.
Thanks a lot,
Florio

tullie 17:12 23 Dec 08

If he set it up why wont it now work?I would suggest setting it up wired then remove wire,turn on laptop wireless switch,go to taskbar and right click on the connection icon.Yours should be listed,so click your connection.

Graham. 17:45 23 Dec 08

The new laptop should see the router, but check if there is a wireless switch that needs turning on.

The Network Key which you will need to enter should be on the router.

Florio 18:39 23 Dec 08

My own connection works well, Tullie, but since the technician who set it up did virtually everything (I wasn't at home when he came; my wife let him in!) I'm don't know precisely how he went about it. I believe that he did set it up wired though.
Thanks for the advice.

tullie 18:48 23 Dec 08

Good luck,let us know how you get on.

ambra4 00:08 24 Dec 08

“The main problem is that a technician originally came here to set up the router”

Firstly you need to know the SSID name of the wireless network and the security password that the

technician set up before you even start thinking about connecting the laptop to the wireless network

Access the router and check the wireless section, once you have saved the SSID and the Password

using notepad copy the information to a flash drive

Connect an Ethernet Cable to the Lan port and set up the Lan card

Take a read on this thread

click here

Once you have Internet access via the Lan port disconnect the cable and “Enable” the Wireless card

The switch on the computer only turn on the Wireless Card Antenna you also have to Enable the

Wireless card

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right click Wireless Network Connection-Enable or Disable

as required

Some times you have to Disable and Enable before the card will connect to the wireless system

A wireless icon should appear in the task bar

If no wireless icon in task bar do the following

Start-Setting-Network Connection-Right Click Wireless Network Connection – Properties

At bottom of display page tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected

A wireless display Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup

If using Windows Vista, Vista contains both the familiar IPv4 stack and the new IPv6 stack

You do not need IPv6 at the present time disable IPv6 in the computers on both the Wired Lan card

and the Wireless Card

Download the pdf file will tell you how to disable IPv6 in Vista

click here

Right-click the wireless network icon and enable if disable then click View Available Wireless

Networks.

The Wireless Network Connection window should appear and you should see the SSID for your

Wireless router listed the SSID network name that the technician entered in the router

If you don't see your network, click Refresh network list in the upper-left corner.

Click your network SSID name, and then click Connect in the lower-right corner

Windows XP will prompt you to enter a security key

Copy and paste the encryption key from the information saved on the flash drive

You have to enter the key in both the Network key and Confirm network key boxes, and then

click Connect.

If the Wireless Network Connection window continues to show Acquiring Network Address,

you have enter the encryption key incorrect

Windows XP will show its progress as it connects to your network

After you're connected, you can now close the Wireless Network Connection window.

Check that you can access the Internet. You're done.

Florio 16:51 26 Dec 08

Thanks for the advice Ambra4. I'm very much a novice when it comes to setting up wireless networks, and so your instructions were a little too complicated for me (even though they're probably actually very straightforward), compounded by the fact that I have an Italian language version of Vista.
In any event, I managed to get into the Netgear settings of my laptop and find both the the SSID and the security password used by the technician. Once I had this information, I keyed it into my son's Acer Aspire One when it asked me to set up an internet connection. This seemed to work fine, and I was immediately able to access internet. I see that there is a padlock symbol next to the SSID name on the Aspire One, which must mean that it is a secured connection also on this laptop. Perhaps you could let me know if I should have done something else as well, but for the moment there don't seem to be any problems.

ambra4 19:03 26 Dec 08

Yes the padlock symbol next to the SSID name mean that the network is secure

Check that the wireless will connect automatic every time that you power up or restart the laptop

Right Click on the icon in the task bar – Click Open Network Connection

Right Click On the Wireless Network Connection – Click Properties – Click Wireless Networks

Tab – Select “Use Windows To Configure My Network Setting”

Select the SSID Name of your Network – Click Properties

Select “ Connect If Even If This Network Is Not Broadcasting”

Click Connection Tab – Select “Connect When This Connection Is In Range”

The wireless network will now always connect once you are in the range of the router automatic

You are done Click OK

Glad to hear that you were able to access the Internet via the wireless system even if in Italian

My only experience of an Italian computer was trying to repair a XP machine many years ago

the keyboard was a total disaster until I install a English one

Enjoy and a merry Christmas to you and the family

Florio 19:27 26 Dec 08

Many thanks; nice to be able to rely on such expert help on this forum. Season's greetings also to you and yours.
Florio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…