Setting a SATA HD as boot disc on IDE based system

Red Devil 15:26 20 Sep 07

Hi all,

I've recently added a couple of Samsung SATA HD's to my system giving me 4 HD's (2 IDE and 2 SATA).

The SATA drives are faster, bigger and newer so I'd like to reconfigure my PC to make one of the SATA drives my boot drive and install Windows on it, especially seeing as the current boot drive is the smallest, slowest and oldest of my HD's and has started to become quite unreliable. It's started failing disk checks and I'm concerned it's on the verge of failing.

So how do I do so? Is it simply a case of installing Windows on one of my SATA drives and changing the boot order? CAN I change the boot order?

Is there anything else I need/must do first?

Any suggestions/help that anyone can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Quiet Life 16:22 20 Sep 07

You can clone your current small operating system drive to your first SATA drive. You can in XXclone make the new drive botable. Program available at click here This program is free and works well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 20 Sep 07

MAke sure you put windows onto the SATA drive that is plugged into te SATA port 1 on your mobo.

you can set the BOOT order in the BIOS

Red Devil 16:27 27 Sep 07

Hi all,

OK, I sorted it out but in a little more drastic a way than I originally envisioned. I upgraded my PC to a SATA based one with a new motherboard, processor and graphics card!!

But thanks for the advice that was given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…