Setting up Routers

bridge+ 15:18 22 Jun 05

I have installed Xandos3 (WinXPis the same disk) but it will not work with my Alcatel USB modem. I bought a Prestige 650H router and this does talk to my computer. However, to connect to the internet, I need to which encapsulation is used, multiplex data etc. Besides not knowing what they mean, what must do I do to obtain them ? The compact guide says I must ask my ISP - how do I do that ? I would be very grateful for some help. I am with BTinternet.

John-259217 17:07 22 Jun 05

Try using PPPoA encapsulation and VC MUX multiplexing.

I think that worked on the last BT yahoo set-up I did but I can`t find my notes!

bridge+ 20:23 22 Jun 05

For m73john,
Many thanks for your advice, I tried your settings - to no avail - then tried every possible combination of types of encapulation and multiplex possible = still to no avail. Must be incorrect elsewere. The router has a self testing mode (ping etc.) it's these that fail.

John-259217 03:42 24 Jun 05

Sorry to hear that, perhaps if you post the settings displayed under WAN information when you get to the last screen on the set-up wizard I may spot something (DON`T post your User Name and Password for obvious reasons - we`ll assume you have these correctly entered).

I`ve had a look at the manual for this router and didn`t notice anything particularly unusual so it should be ok with BT.

bridge+ 17:14 24 Jun 05

Problem solved ; BT gave me the required parameters - probably will never now go back to Alcatel modems. Also, many thanks for your offer to help again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…