setting up router

lodger 17:30 24 Sep 06

I have a speedtouch modem/router attached by ethernet cabel to my desktop running winxp.....i also have a matching usb wireless adaptor for my second desktop upstairs......how can i setup the router to look for the adaptor?????

skidzy 17:33 24 Sep 06

Have you got the software to the router,if so use this and make sure all traces of any previous internet connection has been deleted.
I had a very similar problem,as the system would recognise the previous connection details and cause a conflict.

lodger 17:37 24 Sep 06

the router installation was interrupted , i cant re-run the cd, so i need to access the router settings via the pc.....?

skidzy 17:45 24 Sep 06

Interupted ! try deleting all traces of the software and reboot...but again i stress make sure all traces of any previous connections are deleted also.This may be why your loading became interupted causing the conflict.

Alternatively try using windows:

Start/Control panel/Network and internet Connections/Setup a Wireless Network at your home/follow the prompts.

You will need a flash drive or a cd to carry the settings over to all pc's that require wireless.

Strawballs 17:47 24 Sep 06

click here see if this might help

ade.h 17:56 24 Sep 06

It won't help much because I haven't written any guides for Speedtouch routers and I have no plans to do so at this time.

lodger - you should not need the setup CD to configure the router. Just enter its default gateway IP into a browser while it is connected to a client via Ethernet.

lodger 18:16 24 Sep 06

now tell me how to find this default IP gateway, do i go into windows explorer, or find the router somewhere else, ?

ade.h 18:19 24 Sep 06

No; default gateway IP. It is also known as the starting IP and is the IP of the router itself. You need that to access the config interface.

Have a read of the glossary on my site (see link above).

lodger 18:22 24 Sep 06

thats where i'll go first..thanks fellas , hopefully will report before the end of the year :)

ade.h 18:27 24 Sep 06

His advice was not aimed at configuring the router.

Presumably, you have MAC filtering turned on - most people do, although its value is limited - and if you do, then you'll need to add the new adapter's physical address to the list.

Plus, since you have not needed to use the wireless service before, it will likely need to be enabled - like most routers - and you will certainly need to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption. And set a config password if you haven't already.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017