setting restore points in XP

Alwood 12:38 07 Oct 04

Dear All,

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

I know how to set a restore point with windows (I use Windows XP). Once i have set the RP and try to go back to that point (set date) at a later date, the system seems to go throught the routine of going back, but when completed it states that it was unable to restore to that date selected. Don't know why?
Please help as I always set a RP when I install new software, just in case.

keith-236785 12:42 07 Oct 04

type sfc /scannow (note the space)

to see if some files are corrupt/missing. you will need your winxp disc in the drive.

Boy Zone 22:25 07 Oct 04

Thanks paperman27, but having run this, nothing changes. I still can't restore my PC to an earlier time.
I have just noticed the restore dialogue box has two buttons
* restore my computer to and earlier time

* create restore point.

my friends PC has 3 buttons the third I can't recall whats its called.

It goes thru the process, closes down and restarts, but shows a screen informing me that it could NOT restore to the date I selected.

JonnyTub 22:26 07 Oct 04
  Alwood 12:47 08 Oct 04

Thanks for your input.
I went thru the MS help and non seemed to resolve my problem. One thought has crossed my mind that is could SP2 be causing my problem?
The problem I have is although I always set a RP when I install new s/w I have not had the need to go back to an earlier RP, so not sure if RP worked prior to installing SP2.
I did try setting a RP in safe mode but this did not work.

Stuartli 13:02 08 Oct 04

System Restore can sometimes refuse to go back to a previous restore point although I'm not sure why.

Usually SR will automatically establish a new point if you install new software but it's not necessarily at all times.

Stuartli 13:03 08 Oct 04

The occasional refusal to go back to a previous restore point occurred long before, in my case at least, SP2 was even a twinkle in Uncle Bill's eyes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…