Setting resolution for new monitor separately

RWBCAM 13:26 02 Nov 05

I have a Compaq Evo N600c notebook running on Win 2000. I have now bought a Viewsonic VX924 Monitor and its blurb says it runs best at 1280 x 1024. When I go into Control Panel/Display and try to move from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 I can then only see a portion of the original screen and have to scroll left/right/up/down to see taskbar etc.

I rang Viewsonic and they said I needed to make the monitor my main screen but I couldn't find any way to do this from the Display settings.

Any advice gratefully received?

uisquebeathus 14:38 02 Nov 05

usually the displays are the same its a little strange to show up the way you are getting but try this.
goto Control panel/hardware manager/ device manager/ near the middle you should see Monitors, when you connect the monitor to the laptop it will detect then show the new monitor if not click on "scan for hardware changes".

RWBCAM 18:26 02 Nov 05

Thank you. The monitor is showing up ok in device manager but I can't set up the resolution separately (as described above) to set the monitor on its optimum high resolution without part of the screen disappearing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…