setting up remote ptinter and scanner

ashdav 00:11 30 Aug 05

I'm using a Netgear DG834G with WG311 PCI card to access the internet at the moment. I will shortly be adding a 2nd PC connected the same way. The computers will not be accessible to each other merely sharing the same internet connection. I want both to access a printer and a scanner which are both USB devices. The Netgear router only has Ethernet sockets. The scanner and printer will both be physically located next to the router so can be connected by cables. My question is what do I need to connect them to the router so that either computer can use them. I was thinking along the lines of a USB hub and print server but I've not done this before. Any comments/advice would be appreciated.
(reposted here from network forum due to lack of response)

DieSse 11:50 30 Aug 05

Yes, you'll need a print server - and for the scanner this is next to impossible. Basically scanners don't network, apart from a few high end models.

The primary reason scanners don't network, is that it's not particularly practical solution - you have to visit the scanner in order to use it. Printers of coures, you don't have to visit to use (just pick up the results later).

Sample print servers click here

DieSse 11:53 30 Aug 05

PS - the very few scanner servers around tend to be much more expensive than buying a second scanner (for home use) - and you still have the "visit to use" problem.

ashdav 17:47 30 Aug 05

I've already got a list of print servers. I just wanted to know I was going in the right direction. Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…