setting up remote printer and scanner

ashdav 13:02 28 Aug 05

I'm using a Netgear DG834G with WG311 PCI card to access the internet at the moment. I will shortly be adding a 2nd PC connected the same way. The computers will not be accessible to each other merely sharing the same internet connection.
I want both to access a printer and a scanner which are both USB devices. The Netgear router only has Ethernet sockets.
The scanner and printer will both be physically located next to the router so can be connected by cables.
My question is what do I need to connect them to the router so that either computer can use them.
I was thinking along the lines of a USB hub and print server but I've not done this before.
Any comments/advice would be appreciated.

mgmcc 20:03 29 Aug 05

You can connect the printer to a "host" PC and share it so that the "client" PC can print to it, provided the "host" is running and the printer is switched on.

Alternatively, you can install a dedicated Network Print Server which will let any PC on the network print without depending on a "host" PC.

Windows "File & Printer Sharing" *DOESN'T* support using a scanner over a network. My solution with a Printer/Scanner/Copier was to use a little USB switch (software controlled) that lets me connect up to four computers to a single USB device, rather than using the network.

mgmcc 20:04 29 Aug 05

You can connect the printer to a "host" PC and share it so that the "client" PC can print to it, provided the "host" is running and the printer is switched on.

Alternatively, you can install a dedicated Network Print Server which will let any PC on the network print without depending on a "host" PC.

Windows "File & Printer Sharing" *DOESN'T* support using a scanner over a network. My solution with a Printer/Scanner/Copier was to use a little USB switch (software controlled) that lets me connect up to four computers to a single USB device, rather than using the network.

ashdav 00:17 30 Aug 05

thx for your input. I've put this on the helproom forum to try to get more response.

mgmcc 07:43 30 Aug 05

<<< I've put this on the helproom forum to try to get more response. >>>

Having been given the answer, what additional response do you expect to get?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…