Setting up a personalised email...

Thurrafork 13:09 19 Jan 12

Hello folks I'm reasonably computer savvy, apart from everything on the networking/internet side of things - an area in which I'm utterly dim.

Basically I want to set up a personalised email for my mum. I understand that this will involve buying a domain name (I've been looking at http://www.lcn.com/ for this). But the buying of a domain name always seems very much geared towards setting up a webpage, which is not something I'm wanting to do - all I want is the personalised email.

Could someone break this whole process down for me please?

And then when I've set it up, how will the mail be accessed? This is a Windows 7 pc so I guess I'll have to somehow configure Windows Live to be the means of accessing these mails, is that correct?

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!

Graphicool1 13:24 19 Jan 12

Check this out...CLICK HERE

KRONOS the First 13:28 19 Jan 12

Gmail is another choice.

Thurrafork 13:30 19 Jan 12

Thanks Graphicool1

I checked out the link but that's just for setting up a standard yahoo email address - it's still going to be @yahoo.co.uk, @yahoo.com, @ymail.com, or @rocketmail.com. I'm talking about a completely personalised email - so the part after the @ symbol is personalised also. This is the part that requires getting a domain name I gather.

Any other suggestions folks?

wiz-king 13:51 19 Jan 12

You will need a domain name and then you can set the mail from that automatically forwarded to the email name from her ISP.

Woolwell 14:25 19 Jan 12

There are many domain name providers that have this facility. It is not free but not expensive. 1and1 is one site that I recommend. It gives instruction on how to set it up. You can have name @ surname.me.uk for example.

Thurrafork 17:36 19 Jan 12

Thanks very much folks.

I looked at thet 1and1 and that all seems slightly more straightforward. One question though. I was looking at there domain/email package options and it seems you get the domain you want and additionally something called 1 & 1 Instant Mail. What exactly is that? I guess it is some kind of utility that allows you to send/receive/generally manage emails, sort of like Outlook Express? Is it essential to get a domain name bundled with a utility like this? Or is it possible, having bought a domain name, to somehow set up the email addresses and then manage the emails via Windows Live? Thanks very much - and apologies for my ignorance!

Woolwell 18:07 19 Jan 12

As far as I am aware it just means that you get up to 5 e-mail addresses which you can then access through your e-mail client eg Outlook Express, or their webmail or any device which reads e-mails.

Woolwell 18:09 19 Jan 12

They'll explain if you ring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5