Setting up outlook express on new laptop

alilouise 12:03 28 May 06

I currently have my email (with ntl) on the house pc and run it through incredimail.

Now have bought a new laptop which has outlook express on it so want to set it up so I can pick up my ntl mail's on it.

Went through the set up on the lap top on outlook express but Ive obviously done something wrong.

When I click on send and receive it automatically remembers my password so it tries to connect but the get the following message:-

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: '', Server: '', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR An authentication mechanism MUST be entered', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Could someone explain what I should do to get it working. Can I have my house emails also coming through on outlook on the laptop?

johnnyrocker 12:07 28 May 06

delete and recreate the account and dont tick secure authentication log on,

should sort the problem

alilouise 12:17 28 May 06

Yes thats done it, thanks. now when i send an email it is received on the laptop but no longer on the house pc. can i set it so they appear on both?

if not I suppose it doesn't really matter i guess

alilouise 12:30 28 May 06

sorry another question...!

can i do anything so i can see there is a new email without having to go into outlook express to keep checking?

JYPX 13:32 28 May 06

alilouise - Well you need to have OE open of course, minimised. Tools, Options, tick "Play sound when new mail arrives".

alilouise 13:45 28 May 06

ok, i wondered if you could run it in the background somehow. never mind. thanks

johnnyrocker 14:01 28 May 06

it can be set if you check in the properties of the account to 'leave a copy of messsage on server' if you leave outlook express open it will notify when new mail arrives.

johnnyrocker 14:04 28 May 06

"can i do anything so i can see there is a new email without having to go into outlook express to keep checking?" down load mailwasher from the download section of this site and when set up it automatically advises of new mail on the server ( also enables you to ditch junk mail before it comes in on pc )

alilouise 14:19 28 May 06

that sounds great i'll download it. thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…