Setting up a new laptop

pj123 15:25 17 Nov 08

I am setting up a new laptop for a friend.

It is a Fujitsu Siemens with Vista installed.

I have made the Recovery disks (3 DVDs). Not sure if they are complete. Disk No 1 only took about 5 minutes to complete but Disks 2 and 3 took 43 minutes each to complete. Is that about right?

I tried to install AVG Free antivirus but I got an error that there was already an antivirus program installed and AVG can't continue.

Where do I find this already installed antivirus program and is it very effective?

Thank you.

Sea Urchin 15:35 17 Nov 08

Look in the Security Centre?

oldbeefer2 15:37 17 Nov 08

Control panel - Add or Remove Programmes should help. It's probably a trial version of Mccaffe (spelling!) or Norton - often supplied with new machines to try to encourage the purchaser to buy the full copy. Can't say how good it is without knowing what it is! If you choose to, you could remove it from there

Woolwell 15:39 17 Nov 08

Many new systems come with a trial version of anti-virus, often Norton. This will have to be uninstalled first. It hould be listed under all programs or under Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall.

rawprawn 15:51 17 Nov 08

If it's Norton, use their Uninstall tool or you may not get rid of all of it. If you have already tried you can still run this tool.
click here

pj123 20:08 17 Nov 08

Thanks Guys.

He has been a bit impatient and has come and picked the laptop up before I could do anymore to it.

I have explained all your responses to him.

Just hope he understands.

Thanks again

Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017