Setting up network

Trepan 18:55 19 Jul 08

I am about to purchase a new 3 in 1 printer and would like to network it. My existing set up is two computers both ethernet from a Sky/Netgear Router. I do not wish to have wireless so what is the best way of doing this?

MsTechie 20:45 19 Jul 08

The simplest option is to plug in and install the printer on the computer of your choice, whilst installing choose the option 'share this printer'.
Restart the computer, in the meantime make sure the other computer is on the same network, you might have to go through the 'my network places' 'set up a home or small office network' option if not.

Restart the 'other'computer and to through the 'add printer' 'network printer' option in control panel

Trepan 15:34 20 Jul 08

Thanks MsTechie for your response can I trouble you for three further answers:

Will I have to link the two computers with another ethernet cable?

What do I connect the printer to the computer with a USB or ethernet cable (my present printer uses USB

For the second computer to make use of the printer will the main computer have to be powered up all the time.

ambra4 16:53 20 Jul 08

You need to use a Print Server

Linksys 10/100 USB Print Server with 4-Port Switch

click here

Or the Linksys Wireless-G Print Server lets you connect a USB printer directly to your network,

eliminating the need to dedicate a PC to print sharing chores.

You can connect the Print Server directly to your network by 10/100 Ethernet cable or

Wireless over 54Mbps Wireless-G (802.11g).

click here

Trepan 20:16 20 Jul 08

Thanks ambra4 for your helpful response. Seeks the way forward.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5