Setting up Netgear security help

Giggle n' Bits 11:03 30 Aug 06

since I got my Netgear my mate being impressed also got one but he got the DG834PN with WPN111 widget adapter thing.

Ok, so set this up but now need to nip accross road to sort out his security, he got NIS 06 on both machines with XP Home SP2.

What do we need to do to make the LAN & wireless secure please.

Also how do you know if someones getting into you connection.

Eric10 11:31 30 Aug 06

As a first step for general help, login to the DG834PN router and look at the very bottom of the menu on the left. Under "Web Support" click "Documentation" then read all of Chapter 3. You can restrict access to certain allowed MAC addresses or by an encripted password using either the simpler WEP or the stronger WPA. If you still need help on any specific problems then post back.

Giggle n' Bits 13:05 30 Aug 06

What encryption would you recomend I take it this is the option for the Adpater settings and not on the router itself. Will go and read the chapter.

Thanks for the call and will post pack shortley if I am still stuck or to green tick.

Eric10 14:50 30 Aug 06

The strongest encryption is WPA as it allows for longer keywords. Once this is set in the router any other computer that wants to connect to the wireless network must enter the same key when connecting or it is blocked.
With MAC addresses it isn't a matter of blocking certain MAC addresses it is a matter of allowing the ones that you store in the router. That means that a computer with a MAC address that isn't stored in the router can't access your network. You need to enter the MAC addresses of all the PCs that are allowed to use your network.

Giggle n' Bits 22:06 30 Aug 06

and I am now totally lost.

Ok, I got the router installed on main pc and the other is a Laptop using wireless.

On the machine with the Netgear DG834PN what do I do to make some security work well but not too strong to block using the web.

Where do I get keywords from are these just a password you make up yourself full of numbers and digits or am I suppose to find these somewhere in the Netgear docs ?

ade.h 22:16 30 Aug 06

You must make your own, such as dkrt69356GYpvB058832@#?&2791. You get the idea. As per my usual advice, create it in Notepad, copy the file to all wireless clients, then copy and paste the text wherever it must be entered.

click here - not finished yet (ha! I always say that, but never finish it) but it will help you. The Netgear guides are a little way off yet.

Giggle n' Bits 02:25 31 Aug 06

forum. Excellent layout, looks like a website going in my favourites now. Long as its not full of ads and banner pops. Keep it clean. Wish the Security section was finished. look forward to comming back.

ade.h 18:34 31 Aug 06

"...take it your are responsible for the forum"?

Eh?

Resposible for the Forum FAQs website, yes! Nothing directly to do with this forum, though; just inspired by it. I guess that's what you meant. ;o)

Giggle n' Bits 22:28 31 Aug 06

your the owner of the link to networks-forum which looks a good layout so far. Screen shots for what things looks like in you help pages on setting up different things would be my comment. based on XP only though and not the elders.

ade.h 23:00 31 Aug 06

I don't intend to cover legacy operating system, sorry. XP/Vista only. Screenshots require access to the devices themselves. Glad you like it. It'll be a few months before it's all finished, as I don't have a great deal of spare time.

Giggle n' Bits 00:21 01 Sep 06

ok, back with my problem. Is it better to configure the Netgear wirless modem router using the Netgear CD or using the Wireless xp set-up utility. I have made the connecttion but still not got security sorted yet so running my usb modem still till its sorted.

Is SSID good enough alos or WAP, as I believe from reading into whats being said that WEP is too strong and can cause problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…