Setting up mixed network under XP

JanSch 17:19 02 Apr 06

Need help to set-up mixed cable / wireless network with three XP computers.
Have wireless router for internet access, with one PC accessing internet cabled through router. Second PC has wireless PC card that talks with internet to router and has also LAN card with cable connected to third PC (wireless signal too poor to allow this 3rd PC to connect to router). I want this third PC to connect via cable through 2nd PC and subsequenly wireless to internet and all three PC's to be in one home network. LAN cables between 2 and 3 talk to eachother but I can't get IP address and get "limited connectivity message" on that connection. How can I set-up such a network? Is there somewhere a step by step description to do this?

mgmcc 20:14 02 Apr 06

I think what you are trying to do is almost impossible. You should be able to get internet access in all of the computers, but they will be in two different subnets (and therefore two different networks).

If Computers 1 (wired) and 2 (wireless) have internet access, you can connect PC3 to PC2 and enable Internet Connection Sharing on PC2's connection to the router. This will give PC2's Local Area Connection the IP address 192.168.0.1 and PC3 will get an IP address in the same subnet by DHCP from PC2. However, to avoid an IP conflict, the subnet that the router operates in must be different from the 192.168.0.0 subnet used by Internet Connection Sharing. The result of this is that PC1 and PC2 will communicate (both connected to the router), PC2 and PC3 will communicate (connected directly by crossover cable), but PC1 and PC3 will not communicate.

Now, if the router's subnet was, for example, 192.168.1.0 and you were able to change the Subnet Mask throughout all of the network devices from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 then the two subnets should communicate. The problem is that doing this will almost certainly prevent ICS from functioning in PC2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…