setting up laptop for wi fi

imstuck 15:08 29 Dec 08

Hi there- bought my daughter laptop for xmas,it is wi fi. have another laptop that works fine.my logic is to put my netgear router disc in new laptop and run it.do i need to do this

thanks

skidzy 15:11 29 Dec 08

No you do not have to run the software.

Turn on the wifi on daughters laptop and it should pickup the router,all you need to do is input the security encryption key if you have the router secured.

Strawballs 15:15 29 Dec 08

make sure wireless is switched on, right click wireless icon in bottom righthand corner, view availiable wireless networks, choose yours, it will ask for your encryption key (as skidzy said if your have security set up on router) then connect

imstuck 15:16 29 Dec 08

thanks for quick supply.the wi fi is switched on via a slide button on front wi fi light is on.nothing pick up

Pineman100 15:17 29 Dec 08

If you still have problems after following skidzy's recommendation, you might want to check (using your old computer) in the router's control panel to see whether MAC filtering is enabled on the router. If it is, then you'll need to either switch it off, or (better for security) add the MAC address of your daughter's new computer.

Pineman100 15:22 29 Dec 08

Just read your last post. If Windows isn't 'seeing' the router, check in its control panel and see whether SSID broadcast is enabled.

skidzy 15:23 29 Dec 08

You may have to enter the routers configuration page to check if the SSID is actually broadcasting,if it is set to hide,then this needs changing back so the laptop can see the router.
Its a good security measure to be hidden,once you can see the router and setup the laptop...you can change back the SSID.

skidzy 15:23 29 Dec 08

Sorry P100,cross posted you :-)

imstuck 15:23 29 Dec 08

thanks-my new laptop works fine with ethernet cable from modem(ntl)but not picking up wireless.need step by step easy instructions please

thanks

imstuck 15:25 29 Dec 08

looked in network section,nothing there

skidzy 15:33 29 Dec 08

Ok,what make and model number is the router ?

Connect the laptop via ethernet

Enter the routers configuration page and check the SSID is not hidden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now