Setting up a laptop. Continued !

tonyx1302 12:16 18 Aug 10

Setting up a laptop. Yesterdays post for your info

I ticked resolved to this problem that I posted yesterday but unfortunately none of the postings solved the issue so hopefully someone can help today.
I'm trying to connect to the Internet on my wireless laptop but without success.
I get an 'excellent' signal strength from my Netgear router on the l/top but but I try and connect to IE or any website it tells me I need to 'adjust my browser settings'. I cannot get onto the Internet to get a browser or anything !
I have turned off the firewall,used the correct WPA code and now going slowly mad so any help would be more than gratefully received.

Many thanks

Tony

gengiscant 12:33 18 Aug 10

Link to original post click here

gengiscant 12:38 18 Aug 10

What operating system is your laptop.

tonyx1302 12:39 18 Aug 10

Thanks gengiscant. I didn't know how to set link to original post.

tonyx1302 12:41 18 Aug 10

I run WP home on my d/top and also on the l/top. My router is a Netgear DG834G and I am TT B/Band with excellent speeds

Tony

Roger Evens 12:49 18 Aug 10

You could try connecting your lappy by hard wireing. I've found that sometimes seems to sort things out and will connect wirelessly when you unplug.

gengiscant 12:50 18 Aug 10

Thanks,if you need to link to another page in future, either open another tab to PCAdvisor find your original post and copy and paste the address from the top left hand,or rather than opening another tab just go and find the page again copy then paste in your new post.

Roger Evens 12:50 18 Aug 10

ethernet cable I mean

gengiscant 12:58 18 Aug 10

Go to the start button then run then type cmd click ok and then type ipconfig at the flashing cursor.
Some headings and figures will pop up:
Ip address
subnet mask
default gateway
Post the figures.

northumbria61 13:02 18 Aug 10

You could also try right click on your connection on taskbar (near clock) and open Network Connections - right click on your Wireless Connection and then "repair" - OR you could select "Create a new connection" from the tasks down the left hand side to see if that helps.

tonyx1302 13:10 18 Aug 10

Thanks Roger Evens/ northumbria61. Tried both your suggestions and unfortunately neither worked.

Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac