Setting up a keyboardless/screenless network PC

AdeJ 20:14 02 Feb 04

I want to set up a PC in the loft as file storage and also as a server for the ADSL connection and a few other things etc. It will be running XP Home along with the other PCs but obviously I dont want a keyboard and screen up there.

So before I wade in I thought I'd ask if it is as simple as just setting it up, disabling the errors etc in bios so that it will boot without a keyboard, and using something like VNC to remote manage the thing from elsewhere on the network?

Many thanks in advance...

Chris the Ancient 20:22 02 Feb 04

I'm not sure why having a keyboard and mouse is a problem.

Every server environment I have come across has a keyboad and monitor attached so that any server maintenance and functions can be monitired and/or adjusted. They don't have to be swish items - just working! Rummage around in the 2nd user shops if need be. You can leave the monitor switched off when it's not in use.

So, do you have a real reason for wanting to leave these items out?

Chris

Gaz 25 20:22 02 Feb 04

You could use the remote shutdown command from command prompt, you could even set-it-up as a shortcut to shutdown the screenless computer.

Thre should be Stop on Error in the bios, ensure rather than Halt on all errors, this is serious errors only.

Regards,
Gareth

AdeJ 20:30 02 Feb 04

This is a loft - not a conversion - it will be difficult enough getting just a box up there (reason for the sighting is cables and security from burglary), I certainly wouldnt be able to work on it up there even if I did have space for a screen and keyboard. So given the network it makes sense to control it from elsewhere or am I missing something?

Chris the Ancient 20:56 02 Feb 04

OK. I see your logic. I'm lucky that I can have my server, in a reasonably secure and accessible place.

But, will dust be a problem - and how clean is it?

Seriously, you could go along the lines suggested by Gaz 25. Not a method I've seen or investigated, but worth a look. Power on/off control should be interesting!

Chris

AdeJ 21:23 02 Feb 04

Touch wood dust shouldnt be a problem - but temperature extremes might - somthing I'll have to keep an eye on. And it will be on 24/7 so powering it up and down wont be an issue. Thanks for the advice both..

AdeJ 18:25 03 Feb 04

Any other tips / suggestions before I close this?

Chris the Ancient 18:34 03 Feb 04

Only one real one!

Try it all out BEFORE you shove it in the loft!

;0)

Chris

AdeJ 18:39 03 Feb 04

Yeah that one goes without saying - I've built enough PCs now not to make THAT mistake!! Ditto surge protection..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…