setting up internet configuration in linux

Gnana 14:37 08 Dec 07

Got virgin broadband connection.In WIn XP it is working fine.Now ,set up a Linux dual boot system and want to use internet from linux as well.But am unable to go about it as i dont have any proxy settings in Win XP the settings are 'directly connected to the internet'. How do i go about it ?

i need ipadress/port details of my ISP/proxy and what configs in Linux to do.

If any of you out there have already tried this and got it working please help me out.

Thanks
Gnana

dms05 14:19 10 Dec 07

Is your Virgin connection via a router or a modem? I have a dual boot laptop with XP and Linux and have no problems connecting via my Sky Broadband Router as all the settings are controlled by the Router and the laptop connects via LAN without any further action in either OS.

However if you are dialling up to access then you may find a Linux program called RP-PPPoE very helpful (Roaring Penguin Software). It's available via most Linux distributions. I have used that in the past when I needed to log on to a Network with a User ID and Password.

Gnana 20:31 11 Dec 07

dms05 , Thanks for your interest and reponse.I have checked and found that i use a cable modem to connect to the internet.On the XP front i dont require/havent done any extra configuration except plugiing in the Ethernet cable in to the port.

i dont know why nothing hapens for the linux front.Meanwhile am trying the software you suggested and will post you the results of it.do let me know how i should go about for configuring the cable modem

irishrapter 18:58 12 Dec 07

What version of linux are you using?

On most versions you need to bring up the interface, try opening a command prompt and typing "ifconfig"

You should see your network interface, usually called "eth0" or something. Note the name of the interface and type " ifconfig eth0 up".
Then type "dhcpcd eth0"

Assuming eth0 is your interface, replace eth0 if its not.

Should be all you need!

Gnana 14:26 13 Dec 07

Irishraptor, Thanks for the interest/reponse.That is where i find the problem.When i try 'ifconfig -a' in a terminal it shows a lo(loopback) and sit(donno wht this is) interface only.

I guess my ethernet port/card is not detected at all in the first place.I tried creating a ifcfg-eth-id-<mac adress> under /etc/sysconfig/network as metioned on other forums but when i check the system boot log..there is a point at wihich it waits for 20 seconds with message waiting for mandatory interfaces and finally says ifcfg-eth-id-<mac adress> interface not found startup failed and proceeds with the rest of the boot process...

am fairly confident that my network card is not detected at all not sure if that is because i missed network configuration during system install..can this part/section alone be redone.

i also tried using yast - then network card under it but of no use.by the way am trying all this on Suse 10.2

irishrapter 20:20 13 Dec 07

If it says "sit0" that maybe your interface,.

Also try "iwconfig" and see if you can see an interface in there.

LastChip 23:18 15 Dec 07

Go ito YaST2; Control Center; Hardware Information and see what it says under Network Card.

Or, from the program menu, choose Utilities; Desktop; Network Information and see what that yields.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you have a problem, as the one thing that Linux is extremely strong on, is networking.

Gnana 17:24 16 Dec 07

Irishraptor and Lastchip

Thanks.i found that my network card was not detected.I tried through Yast2 -> network card, manual editing of /etc/sysconfig/network files etc.went ahead with a new install.Since i didnt have suse 10.2 disc downloaded and installed 10.3 suse.Now the network card is detected and fine...but the internet configuration isnt working yet...

as dms05 had already observed gues i need a PPP software "..RP-PPPoE very helpful (Roaring Penguin Software). .." any ideas/guesses of how i can go about it ??

Gnana

LastChip 23:20 16 Dec 07

If you go to the main menu and select; Applications; Utilities; Desktop; Personal Settings, and then select "DSL", you can now see the DSL Configuration Overview. Now click on "Add" and follow the instructions in the left hand side window.

It's pretty much self explanatory. Provided you have to hand your account details, enter them here and let the set-up program take care of it.

dms05 09:02 17 Dec 07

RP-PPPoE is a standard element in most Distro's. It was with PCLinuxOS and it was simply a matter of chosing to have it installed from the Package Manager. If it's not included in the Distro it will almost certainly be available from the Package Manager by download.

You can find our more click here but don't try to download and install yourself unless you are very brave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…