Setting up of IIS

machow 22:03 30 Oct 03

hello all.

this is my first time at setting up an IIS, and i seem to be having great difficulty.

I have it installed on my pc, and have been going through tutorials in dreamweaver mx. I want to create a website using asp pages, so i have followed the help file to test my IIS. I have typed the code as follows.

p> the time is b>

% =time%>

/b>on my comp /p>

i have saved this in wwwroot with ext .asp.

when i type url into browser i get the output as though it was a standard html file.(the output is exactly as above)

Has anyone any suggestions as to what i am doing wrong.As i have no idea!

many thanks!

Forum Editor 23:05 30 Oct 03

you must save your file to the Inetpub\wwwroot folder with the extension: .htm or .html

Don't forget that you must open the page in your browser with an http request, so the url you type should be http: followed by //localhost/nameofyourfile.html

machow 23:09 30 Oct 03

i have tried the code in Note pad and it works ok. It displays the time as per my pc.

So can i assume that the iis is working correctly??

It just doesnt seem to work in dreamweaver. do i need to configure anything else??

I have even uploaded the code to domaindlx, but it still doesnt work.

Im at a total loss!

Thanks

machow 23:33 30 Oct 03

I have just tried the code in frontpage. and it works fine.

would i be any worse off if i used frontpage instead of Dreamweaver??

Forum Editor 00:02 31 Oct 03

but remember that your web host will need to have the FrontPage extensions installed on the server. FrontPage 2003 (the latest version) doesn't use extensions in the accepted sense, but you'll need Microsoft Sharepoint services running on the server to take full advantage of the impressive range of FP2003 components.

machow 00:07 31 Oct 03

Im a little lost now. I have frontpage 2002, but i dont really understand what you mean by the 'extensions installed on the server'.
Is this something i need to do??

Taran 09:33 31 Oct 03

No, your web host needs to do it.

If you want to use FrontPage for ASP pages you also need to know whether or not your host will support that.

You could try opening up your Control Panel, double click on Administrative Tools, then double click on the Internet Information Services icon.

Once in there, inn the left panel click on the directory structure to drill down to your default website.

Right click on any page in the right hand panel and left click on Browse.

This opens the page you selected in your web browser running on localhost testing server.

In fact, while you're in the IIS control panel, why don't you add your web folder as a new virtual direstory. This is the beauty of IIS: any folder on your hard drive can be treated as a website of you add it the the list of root folders in IIS.

I keep a folder in My Documents called DWMXSites and all of my Dreamweaver websites are in it. Let's say for arguments sake that I had a dreamweaver ASP site called Mysite in the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Taran\My Documents\DWMXSites\MySite

Youi can right click on your Default Web in IIS and select the option to add a new virtual directory. Follow the prompts to browse to and then select the folder your site is in (see above) and off you go. This means that your ASP pages/site does not actually have to be in the IIS Inetpub\wwwroot folder.

Failing that I'd suggest that you double check your Dreamweaver setup. Either the help files or the following links will walk you through how to set Dreamweaver up with IIS:

click here

click here

Essentially you can choose to edit any site you have currently in operation in Dreamweaver. CLick on Site, Edit Sites, select your web folder from those listed and click on the Edit button. Click the Advanced tab and click on the 3rd option down called Testing Server. In the Server Model drop down menu, you should select whichever ASP page type you want to use (JavaScript, VBScript or either of the .NET options) then just below there you have another drop down called Access:

Select Local/Network from the Access list, then below that make sure the Testing Server Folder points to your Dreamweaver web and finally under URL/prefix you should see: click here

That should get you up and running with ASP.

One last thing: if you want to go with ASP, try this link click here and in particular, this page on their site for testing code to make sure your pages are running properly: click here

IIS is comparatively easy to set up. In fact, as soon as it is installed if you type localhost into an open Internet Explorer windows address bar and hit the enter key it should pull up two 'Welcome' pages and these have a lot of good introductory text and articles on ASP built into them.

Let us know how you get along.

Regards

Taran

machow 09:40 31 Oct 03

Ok, cheers i'll try that now.

machow 10:01 31 Oct 03

Well im pretty sure i will be useing frontpage now. DWMX isnt responding after 2 clicks of the mouse. very odd.....

I've ordered a book on fronpage2002 so i hope that will be here tmrw.

I only have about 2 weeks to pick it up and produce a database driven site, with catalogue, add/insert/remove records etc..Ho Hum.

I'll still be able to do just a half decent website using frontpage wont i???

Taran 10:39 31 Oct 03

It's a very common and totally inaccurate myth that FrontPage is an amatuers program, incapable of good results.

Forget all of that.

I use FrontPage extensively (so does our Forum Editor) for commercial sites for clients and I think we both agree that FrontPage is superb and capable of more or less anything and everything you might ever want to do in web design. In fact, for many tasks I openly admit that I prefer FrontPage to Dreamweaver and for ASP sites FrontPage has some excellent tricks up its sleeves.

This link click here leads to a demonstration site I did some time ago using FrontPage. I did it to show a couple of the PCA forum members that FrontPage was not limited only to its built in themes but could be used for your own designs and scripts. You can download the entire site if you want to as a Zip file to see how it all goes together (including the CSS file, images, FrontPage folder structure and so forth) click here

It is not meant as a showcase of my talents: far from it in fact. It only took me a few hours to create the site once I had the text copy all typed up in Word and there are some glaring errors in it that I introduced (mostly) to test students. The point to it is that with some Office clipart, a little imagination and FrontPage 2000 (in my case) you can go for it and produce something that not many people would think came from FrontPage at all.

Check out the FrontPage help files for complete tutorials on creating sites and interacting with a database. You really couldn't pick an easier program to use for generating an Access database driven site and unlike many programs the helpfiles in FrontPage are, in fact, a huge selestion of tutorials rather than a reference library of terms.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Taran

machow 15:31 31 Oct 03

I have just had a look at your site, thanks for that.

I can see your point. I guess i better get started then!!

Although im sure i will be back shortly for more help!!

Thanks for your time and help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…