Setting up home wireless internet connection

Midsman2005 00:53 06 Dec 05

Hello all,

I know this is a very fundamental question!

I have two PC's in two seperate rooms (only about 10m apart)...but cannot run cables between the two PC's in a clean and tidy way.

I have ADSL (tiscali) and Windows XP is installed on both machines.

One PC is right next to the broadband cable, so that can just connect to the internet in the usual way (with a cable plugged into the PC).

I would like to set up a wireless internet connection for the other PC.

Thats essentially all I would like to do.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest and easiest way to do this?...For example, what software and hardware I would need.

Thanks for your help.

reclaimjack 01:36 06 Dec 05

you need to get a wireless router get one with adsl modem and a fire built in.. u will need ur isp info to set the router.... and a usb or pcmcia or pci internal net addapter for the one in the other room one computer will need a cat 5 rj45 cable to connect to the router so u can config it on set up have fun

mgmcc 09:04 06 Dec 05

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

When you enable “Internet Connection Sharing” on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address and subnet mask However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “Host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users...etc”.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. This is an ”Infrastructure” wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly.

With a router, it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing wirelessly across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

Midsman2005 01:16 13 Dec 05

Thank you very much :-)

Danoh 00:48 14 Dec 05

~ bookmarked ~ as I'm planning to do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…